USMLE Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an IMG in my fourth year of med school.

I am planning to take my step 1 in Sept 2011. I will be in my fifth year med school then. I am thinking of using Kaplan lecture notes for all the subjects except patho and BRS for pathology alone, as I have heard and read from ppl that kaplan patho is not good.

Apart from this I plan to use first aid for review and kaplan qbank. I doubt if I will be able to refer any standard textbooks as I have to attend college through the day and won't have sufficient time to complete them.

Am I doing it right? or am I being unrealistic in my goals? will I be able to complete by September if I start by Feb, and score well in step 1?

kindly help.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Great plan

It is a wonderful plan and many people come up with similar kind of plans...
well just remember that it is not about planing, but executing those plans well..
Also dont forget to add Usmle World to your list of items...The more questions u do, the better for u..

Good Luck with ur preparation:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes.

Your plan is realistic and you can do it.

I suggest also you add another qbank to your prep such as USMLE World or USMLE Consult.
Dear Sabio,
Thank u for your prompt reply.
do u think i have chosen the right books? should i alter them? as in Goljan or high yield? I need to take my step 1 at least by Sept as I am planning to pursue electives in the US during Oct - Dec 2011.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Yes they are good

Dear Sabio,
Thank u for your prompt reply.
do u think i have chosen the right books? should i alter them? as in Goljan or high yield? I need to take my step 1 at least by Sept as I am planning to pursue electives in the US during Oct - Dec 2011.
Your plan is completer and the choice of books is great.
You don't need to replace BRS with Goljan because Goljan would take longer time also High Yield Pathology is an outdated book and I don't recommend it.
For best pathology books see this http://www.usmle-forums.com/best-usmle-step-1-books/426-best-pathology-book-usmle-step-1-a.html

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
solving qbank before starting preparation

hello,
i was wondering if i should solve a qbank before starting my prep for step1. that way ill know which are my weak and strong subjects, and i can concentrate more on the weak ones. is it advisable? if so.. which q bank should i solve? or should i start solving question only after i finish a subject? please advice.

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
hello,
i was wondering if i should solve a qbank before starting my prep for step1. that way ill know which are my weak and strong subjects, and i can concentrate more on the weak ones. is it advisable? if so.. which q bank should i solve? or should i start solving question only after i finish a subject? please advice.
You can do Kaplan Diagnostic Test for that purpose. Yes, it's a good idea.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey there,

Your plan is pretty solid and it's a realistic one too. I would definitely get UWorld like people have suggested. Also, don't forget to take the mock exams (NBMEs or UWSA) throughout your study to gauge progress!

Cheers

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@jerryjr36,
thanks.. i hope i will be able to implement it, and follow it up without losing my sanity :scared::p

·
Registered
512 Posts
I am an IMG in my fourth year of med school.

I am planning to take my step 1 in Sept 2011. I will be in my fifth year med school then. I am thinking of using Kaplan lecture notes for all the subjects except patho and BRS for pathology alone, as I have heard and read from ppl that kaplan patho is not good.

Apart from this I plan to use first aid for review and kaplan qbank. I doubt if I will be able to refer any standard textbooks as I have to attend college through the day and won't have sufficient time to complete them.

Am I doing it right? or am I being unrealistic in my goals? will I be able to complete by September if I start by Feb, and score well in step 1?

kindly help.
I think its well planned. Just toss it up with USMLE World. I have read 6 months are enough for step 1. u have ample of time. will u start ur studies after ur final professional or have already started?
m a bit confused i have studied robbins in patho during my 2nd year is it not enough for step1?
also which edition of kaplan are u using.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts