Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YEAR OF GRADUATION : 2013
STEP 1 254, STEP 2CK 250 , STEP 2 CS PASS
Exam day: May 13,2015
Preparation time : 5.5 months
Resources Used:
1) Kaplan Lecture notes (for all subjects): Single read for Internal medicine & Psychiatry, 2 reads for Pediatrics, OB/GYN, Surgery. Kaplan lecture notes are well written for Pediatrics and OB/GYN. I did not like Kaplan Medicine.
2) Kaplan video lectures (for all subjects except Surgery)
3) MTB 2 for Internal Medicine (It is like First Aid for Step 1 but definitely not an equivalent. Not a great source either but you got to read it since there is no better alternative, Kaplan lecture notes are outdated keeping exam pattern in mind)
4) MTB 2 + MTB 3 for rest of the subjects
5) First Aid for STEP 2 CK (it’s not highly recommended like First Aid for Step 1), I liked it for revision and solidifying few concepts and facts, Optional based on individual preference.
6) Conrad Fischer 20 cases ( found these helpful)
7) 100 cases by Conrad Fischer
8) UWorld biostastics manual ( has around 80 questions and covers most of the biostastics concepts, it was a revision again as I had already solved it for STEP 1)
9) Drug Ads and Abstracts (Uworld covers these very well)
Bottom line is the study material for CK is not much impressive.
During the exam, I felt that apart from above mentioned resources questions were from all over let’s say you saw something during rotations/wards or heard something in a lecture during medical school.
Q banks:
1)UWorld : (Online) Most important & I would say Only reliable study aid. Has everything (algorithms/flowcharts) you need for exam . Random Timed mode is recommended. Start solving it from the beginning of preparation.
2)Kaplan Q bank (Offline): for the sake of practicing questions only, can be skipped without giving a second thought.
ASSESSMENTS:
NBME 6 240 (4 weeks out)
NBME 7 235 (3 weeks out)
NBME 4 245 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 263 (1 week out)
IMPORTANT
1) Number of reads does not count. Do 1/2 good reads thoroughly and make concepts.
2) Solve as many questions as possible ( I loved solving questions from whatever source I could get my hands on) Uworld is the BEST though for CK.
3) Try to take CK within 4/5 months after your STEP 1. Extending the duration will only drop your score (Lesson learnt the hard way)
4) Exam day is very important for all USMLE exams but for STEP 2 CK, its like 50% preparation and 50% is what you do with the sea of knowledge on exam day.
5) Manage TIME
6) There will be ups and downs during the preparation. Try to relax and enjoy the journey. All the best!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi

Thanks much for sharing your great experince here, for a long time didn't saw a detailed experience here.
What is your advice to do in the last 3 weeks of preparation?
And what do you think about Kaplan qbank offline as a second Qbank during preparation?
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much for sharing your great experince here, for a long time didn't saw a detailed experience here.
What is your advice to do in the last 3 weeks of preparation?
And what do you think about Kaplan qbank offline as a second Qbank during preparation?
Thanks in advance...
During last 3 weeks, U world and nothing else.
Kaplan Q bank can be used if you have time earlier in preparationbut not at the expense of Uworld.
Best!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts