USMLE Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background : IMG graduate (2015/ 1.5 year back)

Time taken for preparation : 8 months (including 1 month break due to unavoidable circumstances)
8-10 hours per day

Material used :
1. Kaplan classroom anywhere videos(2012)/Kaplan video lectures(2010)
2. Kaplan lecture notes (2012)
3. First Aid (2014)
4. Conrad fischer 100 ethics cases
5. Kaplan qbank online
6. Kaplan qbook (2014)
7. Uworld qbank online
8. Kaplan simulated exam 1(online)
9. UWSA 1/UWSA 2(online)
10. NBME 15

Study schedule :

0 to 5 months : Kaplan notes followed by Kaplan videos of each subject followed by another revision of Kaplan notes along with first aid annotation of every subject one after another (2 to 3 weeks per subject). Read Conrad Fischer ethics cases twice cover to cover. Following every subject i completed 6 blocks (1 block per day) of Kaplan qbank .
5 to 8 months: Completed my remaining questions of Kaplan qbank (2 blocks per week) with each block timed and randomly done . Started my UWorld subscription (2 blocks per week) also random and timed followed again by all the wrong questions on uworld .
I also started doing flashcards daily (anki/picmonic/sketchy) which were immensely helpful with the cram able stuff.
Final week : Light revision only. Due to some family emergency I could not study more than 2-3 hours each day but I decided not to postpone the exam as I felt confident enough that I was ready. Now I feel like it was the right decision and my performance could have tanked had I postponed the exam.
Exam day : Got a good enough sleep the night before and had my clothes laid out and snacks packed up before i went to bed. I was nervous during the first 2 blocks and had little difficulty managing time as i marked a lot of questions for review but as the exam progressed I relaxed and it got easier. Anatomy was heavily tested. Biostats stuff was pretty basic and the questions were a bit lengthy but the difficulty level was much easier than the qbanks and comparable to UWSAs and NBMEs.
Result : The wait as expected was excruciating. i got the email as predicted on Wednesday of 4th week to the exam.

Daily schedule :
Day started at 6:30am. Studied till 12:30pm
Lunch break 12:30 to 2:00pm
Study again from 2:00 to 6:00pm
Workout 6:00 to 700pm
No study after 7:00pm or on Sundays
Daily sleep for 7 to 8 hours

Score co-relations :
Kaplan diagnostic test (4 months prior to the test) : 55%
UWSA 1 : 258(1 month prior)
Kaplan simulated exam 1 : 238 (15 days prior)
UWSA 2 : 256(1week prior)
NBME 15 : 239(6 days prior)
Kaplan Qbank : 62%
Uworld Qbank : 72%

Takeaway Points :
1. Do not leave your assessment tests for the last week. Keep the last week free for revision of First Aid only.
2. First Aid is the go to book once you are done annotating it. Do not go back to your notes or you may get bogged down.
3. Always be prepared for emergencies and plan ahead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For pathology I used pathoma videos mostly .... did listen to a few goljan audio lectures but I found pathoma enough for the questions asked !! Epi/biostat whad 5-7 questions which looked pretty straight forward but apparently I did bad in that section so I must have missed something ! Pathology was as usual heavily tested esp endocrine but the questions were fairly easy and straightforward

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing your experience!
Could you please tell me :
1. Is Kaplan enough for genetics and molecular biology and was it heavily tested?
2. What were, broadly, the topics in anatomy which were not in Kaplan?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kaplan is enough for genetics according to me !! I was just asked about hardy Weinberg equation !! Nd one pedigree question that was pretty straightforward! Pelvic anatomy was the only topic which was not so well covered by Kaplan and it was asked quite a lot

·
Registered
16 Posts

Time taken for preparation : 8 months (including 1 month break due to unavoidable circumstances)
8-10 hours per day

Material used :
3. First Aid (2014)
5. Kaplan qbank online
6. Kaplan qbook (2014)
7. Uworld qbank online
9. UWSA 1/UWSA 2(online)
10. NBME 15

Study schedule :

0 to 5 months : Kaplan notes followed by Kaplan videos of each subject followed by another revision of Kaplan notes along with first aid annotation of every subject one after another (2 to 3 weeks per subject). Read Conrad Fischer ethics cases twice cover to cover. Following every subject i completed 6 blocks (1 block per day) of Kaplan qbank .
5 to 8 months: Completed my remaining questions of Kaplan qbank (2 blocks per week) with each block timed and randomly done . Started my UWorld subscription (2 blocks per week) also random and timed followed again by all the wrong questions on uworld .
I also started doing flashcards daily (anki/picmonic/sketchy) which were immensely helpful with the cram able stuff.
Final week : Light revision only. Due to some family emergency I could not study more than 2-3 hours each day but I decided not to postpone the exam as I felt confident enough that I was ready. Now I feel like it was the right decision and my performance could have tanked had I postponed the exam.
Exam day : Got a good enough sleep the night before and had my clothes laid out and snacks packed up before i went to bed. I was nervous during the first 2 blocks and had little difficulty managing time as i marked a lot of questions for review but as the exam progressed I relaxed and it got easier. Anatomy was heavily tested. Biostats stuff was pretty basic and the questions were a bit lengthy but the difficulty level was much easier than the qbanks and comparable to UWSAs and NBMEs.
Result : The wait as expected was excruciating. i got the email as predicted on Wednesday of 4th week to the exam.

Daily schedule :

Score co-relations :

Takeaway Points :
1. Do not leave your assessment tests for the last week. Keep the last week free for revision of First Aid only.
2. First Aid is the go to book once you are done annotating it. Do not go back to your notes or you may get bogged down.
thank you for sharing

·
Registered
9 Posts

8-10 hours per day

Material used :
3. First Aid (2014)
5. Kaplan qbank online
6. Kaplan qbook (2014)
7. Uworld qbank online
9. UWSA 1/UWSA 2(online)
10. NBME 15

Study schedule :

Daily schedule :

Score co-relations :

Takeaway Points :
Just out of interest. How was your feeling after exam? How many questions do u think u missed in the actual test?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was relieved when I was done with the exam !! Unlike what I hv heard I dint feel I had done worse. I expected 4-5 wrong answers per block .... maybe more in some and less in others but the exam was very much at the level of the nbmes I had given so I was pretty confident I d get somewhere close to 235 !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts