USMLE Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
I took my first NBME (12) a few days ago, scored only 190. Well, it's better than the previous one when I scored only 159 (like whaaat).
It took me a while though. I've been out of med school for a little and it does take plenty of time to go through the basics.
I'm taking Step 1 on June 3rd but ideally, would like to be ready earlier so I can start studying for CK (August). I need to apply this year…
Anyway, how do I get a better score? I need at least 230… Is it even possible?
I haven't done behavioral/psychiatry, reproduce, general pharmacology, general pathology yet and don't remember CNS at all..
I did some Uworld but max 60%. I started my subscription all over again and want to go in a random, tutor mode this time.

Any advice greatly appreciated!!! You all are so freaking smart lol and I'm like a child in the darkness!!!!
J

·
Registered
69 Posts
given your time constraints i would start by:
1- giving FA a quick power read (1 week maximum, don't take more than that, even if you don't understand everything), just so you get a grasp of its blueprint and where everything is located. Do NOT take more than a week, i repeat, because you'll be tempted to.
2- tackle UWorld religiously right away: do random timed blocks (possibly 2 blocks a day) and spend 4-5 hours correcting each block, while always keeping FA beside you and taking notes into FA. Try to understand all the concepts in UW
3- after finishing UW, take an online NBME to see where you stand, check your weaknesses suggested by the nbme and work on them for not more than a week
4- take another NBME, see your weaknesses, work on them
5- rinse and repeat 3 & 4

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
given your time constraints i would start by:
1- giving FA a quick power read (1 week maximum, don't take more than that, even if you don't understand everything), just so you get a grasp of its blueprint and where everything is located. Do NOT take more than a week, i repeat, because you'll be tempted to.
2- tackle UWorld religiously right away: do random timed blocks (possibly 2 blocks a day) and spend 4-5 hours correcting each block, while always keeping FA beside you and taking notes into FA. Try to understand all the concepts in UW
3- after finishing UW, take an online NBME to see where you stand, check your weaknesses suggested by the nbme and work on them for not more than a week
4- take another NBME, see your weaknesses, work on them
5- rinse and repeat 3 & 4
Thnak you!!!
Will do so! Yes, FA is they key. Gosh, Ihate it :p I love Pathoma but I don't think I have much time to spend on so many books...

One question though, I didn't do behavioral at all, should go through Kaplan videos just for this subject? Last NMBE my misatkes were mainly stuff I haven't done like behavioral or MSK... Thank you! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes Kaplan videos are excellent in behavioral, especially biostatistics

1 - 4 of 4 Posts