USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 484 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've made recently nbme 16. If anyone can help with answers and to participate in discussion, please, you're welcome.

1-2
An animal study is conducted to assess the effects of smoking on pulmonary defense and maintenance mechanisms. For 1 week, normal
male rats are exposed to levels of cigarette smoke comparable to those encountered by humans who smoke cigarettes. Results of
pulmonary testing are compared with baseline levels obtained the week before the smoke exposure. Which of the following sets of changes
is most likely to be observed?

Mucus Production and Secretion up/down

Alveolar Macrophage Function up/down

Activity of Airway Cilia up/down

1-4
Poliovirus mRNA lacks a 5' m7G cap but is translated efficiently by cellular ribosomes. Which of the following additional structural features of poliovirus mRNA is the most likely cause of its ability to be translated in the absence of a cap?
A) Absence of a 3' untranslated region (UTR)
B)Absence of a 5' UTR
C) Absence of a poly(A) tail
D) Presence of an internal ribosome entry site
E) Very short open reading frame

1-11
An 85-year-old woman is diagnosed with a fracture of the right femur and begins treatment with morphine by patient-controlled analgesic pump. Three days later, her respirations are 6/min. Physical examination shows pinpoint pupils. Her serum creatinine concentration is 1.8 mg/dL. Which of the following best explains this patient's clinical deterioration after the initiation of morphine therapy?
A) Chronic dosing of morphine decreases its bioavailability
B) Morphine bioavailability increases with chronic dosing
C) Morphine downregulates mu-opioid receptors with chronic dosing
D) Morphine inhibits its own metabolism
E) Morphine is metabolized to active metabolites that accumulate

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
1-25
A healthy 24-year-old woman participates in a study to determine the role of ghrelin in appetite. She is given free access to food during the study. The graph shows plasma concentrations of ghrelin in the woman during the study period. Which of the following labeled points on the curve most likely represents the consumption of a meal?

Sorry, I can't insert the image.

Link to image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3YhEMwCpzaaMnh4TFZjNGY3Vk0/edit?usp=sharing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I think 1-11 is E. I marked B & got it wrong. The only answer left that makes sense is E due to overdose or patient's renal failure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello everyone. I've made recently nbme 16. If anyone can help with answers and to participate in discussion, please, you're welcome.

1-2
An animal study is conducted to assess the effects of smoking on pulmonary defense and maintenance mechanisms. For 1 week, normal
male rats are exposed to levels of cigarette smoke comparable to those encountered by humans who smoke cigarettes. Results of
pulmonary testing are compared with baseline levels obtained the week before the smoke exposure. Which of the following sets of changes
is most likely to be observed?

Mucus Production and Secretion up/down

Alveolar Macrophage Function up/down

Activity of Airway Cilia up/down

1-4
Poliovirus mRNA lacks a 5' m7G cap but is translated efficiently by cellular ribosomes. Which of the following additional structural features of poliovirus mRNA is the most likely cause of its ability to be translated in the absence of a cap?
A) Absence of a 3' untranslated region (UTR)
B)Absence of a 5' UTR
C) Absence of a poly(A) tail
D) Presence of an internal ribosome entry site
E) Very short open reading frame

1-11
An 85-year-old woman is diagnosed with a fracture of the right femur and begins treatment with morphine by patient-controlled analgesic pump. Three days later, her respirations are 6/min. Physical examination shows pinpoint pupils. Her serum creatinine concentration is 1.8 mg/dL. Which of the following best explains this patient's clinical deterioration after the initiation of morphine therapy?
A) Chronic dosing of morphine decreases its bioavailability
B) Morphine bioavailability increases with chronic dosing
C) Morphine downregulates mu-opioid receptors with chronic dosing
D) Morphine inhibits its own metabolism
E) Morphine is metabolized to active metabolites that accumulate
1-11 answer is E i just saw my wrong questions questions i have selected D which is wrong !! explanation for this one is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morphine-6-glucuronide

·
Registered
71 Posts
yes 11 1 answer is E i choose d which was wrong the only one that make sense is E plus in vikipedia there is explanation for this Morphine-6-glucuronide (M6G) is a major active metabolite of morphine, and as such is the molecule responsible for much of the pain-relieving effects of morphine (and thus heroin)[citation needed]. M6G is formed from morphine by the enzyme UDP-Glucuronosyltransferase-2B7 (UGT2B7). M6G can accumulate to toxic levels in kidney failure.[1][2]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quick question ... I will be taking NBME 16 next week. How does it compare to other ones you have taken (Difficulty, pics... etc) ... Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes 11 1 answer is E i choose d which was wrong the only one that make sense is E plus in vikipedia there is explanation for this Morphine-6-glucuronide (M6G) is a major active metabolite of morphine, and as such is the molecule responsible for much of the pain-relieving effects of morphine (and thus heroin)[citation needed]. M6G is formed from morphine by the enzyme UDP-Glucuronosyltransferase-2B7 (UGT2B7). M6G can accumulate to toxic levels in kidney failure.[1][2]
Yes, I like it. There's also written about renal failure: Contraindications "due to accumulation of the metabolites morphine-3-glucuronide and morphine-6-glucuronide".
But what about 1-25? Are you sure A is correct?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, I like it. There's also written about renal failure: Contraindications "due to accumulation of the metabolites morphine-3-glucuronide and morphine-6-glucuronide".
yes im sure about that i havent heard about ghrelin before but i thought it would be something like leptin and i guessed thsi one and it was correct

·
Registered
5 Posts
1-25 answer should be B. Ghrelin does the opposite with leptin. Ghrelin stimulates hunger. It starts to drop with food intake. Quick google search image will give a nice graph of its function just like the image on the exam.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey thnx there is some nbme 16 discussion going now,as my exam is just after 4 days n i wasnted some answers for my wrong qs.Can yu plz tell me r yu typing all by urself or i sthere any way of copy pasting cuz it takes time.as m so close to my exam i ve 5 to 8 qs which m confused about.thnx

·
Registered
142 Posts
There was a qs in which they said about IGF1 n destruction of GTPase.n options were tyrosine kinase,adenyl cyclate,janus kinase,phospholopiase c.
i marked tyrosine kinase but that was wrong.

·
Registered
71 Posts
a 35 year old woman is given 500 mg of drug X iv .several minutes later the serum concentration X is 12.5.two hours later the serum concentration is 10mg/L. asuming the drug X has first order elimination which of the following will be serum concentration of drug X in mg/L in another two hours
a 6
b6.5
c7
d7.5
e8
f8.5 plese explain it

·
Registered
142 Posts
nbme 16 sec 3 qs 15

sec 3 qs 15..in which there was FUR protein,n its low or high concentartion varied,.
so was it splicing,methylation,or post trans modification,or transcript,or translation???

·
Registered
149 Posts
there are thousands of questions on question banks.why is it only the nbme that interest some people to discuss in a public forum.it defeats the whole purpose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
a 35 year old woman is given 500 mg of drug X iv .several minutes later the serum concentration X is 12.5.two hours later the serum concentration is 10mg/L. asuming the drug X has first order elimination which of the following will be serum concentration of drug X in mg/L in another two hours
a 6
b6.5
c7
d7.5
e8
f8.5 plese explain it
First order elimination means that a constant fraction per time is eliminated.

In the first 2 hours, 2.5/12.5 or 20% was eliminated.

In the next 2 hours, another 20% will be eliminated: .20 * 10 = 2. So, 10-2 = 8, E.

·
Registered
24 Posts
there are thousands of questions on question banks.why is it only the nbme that interest some people to discuss in a public forum.it defeats the whole purpose.
I think it is because the NBME exams do not offer explanations for their questions. Every other qbank (that I'm aware of) does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's translation bc inc conc is detected by Western blot, if this is same question you're concerned

sec 3 qs 15..in which there was FUR protein,n its low or high concentartion varied,.
so was it splicing,methylation,or post trans modification,or transcript,or translation???

1 - 20 of 484 Posts