USMLE Forums banner

81 - 100 of 484 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
can any one tell me easy way of doing MRI of cruciate ligaments.i am always confusing anterior vs posterior cruciate ligaments :confused:
Watch this video.
Try to remember direction of the guide-needle on 1:24 min - from medial side to lateral. I saw this procedure a lot of time in operating room, and remembered in such manner I think.
It's not MRI, but for understanding may be useful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
how did you guys find name 16 compared to the others in terms of difficulty?
just finished it now and it scored lower than the previous 3 I did....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Watch this video.
Try to remember direction of the guide-needle on 1:24 min - from medial side to lateral. I saw this procedure a lot of time in operating room, and remembered in such manner I think.
It's not MRI, but for understanding may be useful.
thanks ,it was really interesting anterior cruciate attaches anteromedial to tibia at least i wont forget this now

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
1-4
Poliovirus mRNA lacks a 5' m7G cap but is translated efficiently by cellular ribosomes. Which of the following additional structural features of poliovirus mRNA is the most likely cause of its ability to be translated in the absence of a cap?
A) Absence of a 3' untranslated region (UTR)
B)Absence of a 5' UTR
C) Absence of a poly(A) tail
D) Presence of an internal ribosome entry site
E) Very short open reading frame
Answer is D.
Unlike the host cell's mRNAs the 5' end of poliovirus RNA is extremely long-over 700 nucleotides-and is highly structured. This region of the viral genome is called internal ribosome entry site (IRES) and it directs translation of the viral RNA. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poliovirus).

·
Registered
4 Posts
30. A 25-year-old man comes to the physician 8 hours after the onset of severe pain of his low back that radiates down his left leg. He started a weight-lifting regimen earlier in the day during which he tried to lift a bar loaded with 91 kg (200 lb) from the ground to over his head. The pain began almost immediately after this attempt Which of the following is the most likely cause of this patients pain?

A) A fracture of a lumbar vertebra
B)Rupture of the deltoid tendon
C) Rupture of an intervertebral disc
D) A tear in the sciatic nerve
E)A torn muscle in the lower back

Is it A ?
no its C,.

·
Registered
4 Posts
a 3 year old boy has 1 week history of nonproductive cough wheezing nausea coarse bilateral crackles are heard on auscultation of the chest .stool culture shows 1.6cm roundworm larwa,chest xray shows bilateral infiltratethis disease was most likely cause by ingestion of which of the following? A) feces contaminated soil b )improperly caned beans c )pork products (i select this one but its wrong) d) raw shrimp e) under cooked meat

How is this Strongyloides ???
and it cant be cause strongyloides enters by larvae in soil penetrating sking which is not an option. Can anyone please answer this question ?
here its due to ascaris..round worm..A

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kras:
This question is not clear for me. I've answered C and got incorrect.
An 8-year-old girl is brought to the physician for a well-child examination. Her mother says that she has been well except for an occasional cold. Her immunizations are up to date. She is at the 50th percentile for height and 60th percentile for weight. Physical examination shows breast bud development and a few pubic hairs. The mother asks whether her daughter's development is normal. Which of the following is the most appropriate initial response by the physician?
A) "I am concerned that your daughter may have precocious puberty."
B) "I think that your daughter is likely to begin menstruating in the next few months."
C) "I would like to order laboratory studies to ensure that your daughter's development is normal."
D) “Your daughter's breast development is somewhat less than might be expected for her age."
E) “Your daughter's development is normal."

Here we see Tanner-2 (10-11,5 y.o.), hypothyroidism(?)
i marked A its wrong..is it E?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally Posted by Kras:
This question is not clear for me. I've answered C and got incorrect.
An 8-year-old girl is brought to the physician for a well-child examination. Her mother says that she has been well except for an occasional cold. Her immunizations are up to date. She is at the 50th percentile for height and 60th percentile for weight. Physical examination shows breast bud development and a few pubic hairs. The mother asks whether her daughter's development is normal. Which of the following is the most appropriate initial response by the physician?
A) "I am concerned that your daughter may have precocious puberty."
B) "I think that your daughter is likely to begin menstruating in the next few months."
C) "I would like to order laboratory studies to ensure that your daughter's development is normal."
D) "Your daughter's breast development is somewhat less than might be expected for her age."
E) "Your daughter's development is normal."

Here we see Tanner-2 (10-11,5 y.o.), hypothyroidism(?)
i marked A its wrong..is it E?
Puberty starts on average in girls between ages 8-13 and in boys between ages 9-14.so the right answer to this question is E

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
So, what we have? ))
I answered C
Usmle1 answered A
Drws answered E
All of us were wrong unfortunately.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So, what we have? ))
I answered C
Usmle1 answered A
Drws answered E
All of us were wrong unfortunately.
Sorry guys. I just checked i answered B. which is wrong. I was confused between B and E and wasn't sure what i answered. But just checked again and it was B which is wrong.

So i guess E is the right answer if we rule out everything else by considering everyones answers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry guys. I just checked i answered B. which is wrong. I was confused between B and E and wasn't sure what i answered. But just checked again and it was B which is wrong.

So i guess E is the right answer if we rule out everything else by considering everyones answers.
your daughters development is normal is the answer E first dr has to tell her that daughter's development is normal then he would tell her that she would start menstruation i answered E and it was correct
and this is normal puberty cause precocous puberty starts before 7 years of age

·
Registered
11 Posts
70 yr old african american women come to physician after 1 day onset of back pain. She's a part time cashier, low income, and smoked 1/2 a pack for 50 years and drinks 3 caffeinated beverages a day. X-ray shows vertebral compression fracture of L3 and she has decreased bone mineral density.
Answer Choices
A.Ethnicity
B.Gender
C. Occupation
D.Smoking
E. Socioeconomic status

I got this one wrong but thinks it's D or E

·
Registered
77 Posts
70 yr old african american women come to physician after 1 day onset of back pain. She's a part time cashier, low income, and smoked 1/2 a pack for 50 years and drinks 3 caffeinated beverages a day. X-ray shows vertebral compression fracture of L3 and she has decreased bone mineral density.
Answer Choices
A.Ethnicity
B.Gender
C. Occupation
D.Smoking
E. Socioeconomic status

I got this one wrong but thinks it's D or E
It's B. Gender. increased risk of osteoporosis for women.

81 - 100 of 484 Posts