USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi y'all..

Im an IMG from norway who's wondering if it is required to write TOEFL iBT for non-native english speakers to do rotations and/or residency in US or Canada?

I've studied English in school for several years, i study in English and Imy friends and boyfriend are from North America, thus so I speak more English than I do Norwegian..
I would say my English is fairly good that's why I'm wondering how necessary it is with this TOEFL english test?`

any thoughts/experience on the matter? from what I've read it's not a requirement?

thanks.

·
Banned
751 Posts
i would do it. it's very easy and u should get a good score if u have a good grasp of the english language. I got a 108..it gives a boost to ur rotations application so why not..just advice make sure u actually listen in the listening section because i wasnt listening lol good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would do it. it's very easy and u should get a good score if u have a good grasp of the english language. I got a 108..it gives a boost to ur rotations application so why not..just advice make sure u actually listen in the listening section because i wasnt listening lol good luck
did you write the iBT version? im guessing most people nowadays are writing this..

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
TOEFL is not a requirement to do clinical rotations in USA if you have taken any step of the USMLE Exam.

Before the year 2004, it was a requirement, but now with the new Step 2 CS exam, TOEFL is not a requirement to become ECFMG certified.

So here's the deal, if you are planning to do USMLE, then you don't need to do it, just do any of the USMLE steps and they'll accept you into that rotation.

If you are not planning to do USMLE and you just want to do clinical rotations in USA, then it might be a good idea to do the TOEFL.

the iBT (Internet Based Test) has replaced the CBT (Computer Based Test) since September 2009. Some centers still have the option of the PBT, paper based test but the iBT is much more convenient.

-

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TOEFL is not a requirement to do clinical rotations in USA if you have taken any step of the USMLE Exam.

Before the year 2004, it was a requirement, but now with the new Step 2 CS exam, TOEFL is not a requirement to become ECFMG certified.

So here's the deal, if you are planning to do USMLE, then you don't need to do it, just do any of the USMLE steps and they'll accept you into that rotation.

If you are not planning to do USMLE and you just want to do clinical rotations in USA, then it might be a good idea to do the TOEFL.

the iBT (Internet Based Test) has replaced the CBT (Computer Based Test) since September 2009. Some centers still have the option of the PBT, paper based test but the iBT is much more convenient.

-
thanks. I've written USMLE step1, I'm currently waiting for the feedback of my CK and CS applications..so the plan is to apply for rotations and thereafter the ECFMG certification.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts