USMLE Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
can anyone help me in understand this concept
in pathoma there is auto-antibodies against parental cell which leads to decrease HCL + IF production and at the same time there will be G cell hyperplasia with increase gastrin which activate parental cell to produce acid !!
i couldn't get why there is increase in acid or why there is inflammation !!:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe you are getting two pathologies mixed up. There are two kinds of chronic (=indolent process) gastritis (=inflammation of stomach).

Chronic Gastritis Type A
Pernicious anemia = auto-antibodies against parietal cells in the body of stomach leading to their destruction and reduced intrinsic factor and HCl production. Leading to decrease cobalamin absorption, achlorhydria and hypergastrinemia = increased gastrin secretion (loss of acidity = loss of negative feedback, so stomach pumps out gastrin in attempt to "restore" normal acidity of stomach, but the parietal cells are destroyed so no acid is produced in response to ever increasing gastrin levels)

Chronic Gastritis Type B most often occurs in pyloric/antrum region and is due to H. pylori which lives in the mucus, has urease producing ammonia (basis of diagnostic urease breath test) and causes chronic gastritis and PUD. Understanding the Urease breath test is where STEP1 will test you on this topic.

Hopefully that is helpful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts