USMLE Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an IMG from India. Recently completed my Internship, needed some guidance on how to go about the preparation for Step 1.

Materials that I have are First Aid (2016), Kaplan Notes (2016), Kaplan Videos (2014), Goljan for Pathology.

How much time is sufficient to comfortably complete and revise all the subjects in order to confidently appear for the exam?

Also how does the change in the pattern affect our approach to the subjects?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Keep it simple

UW - as you go along add notes directly or as pages to FA .
Now do FA
Now do 2nd reading of UW
Now do 2nd reading FA

Use KLN as reference book to improve understanding and doing topics to obtain a sense of completeness. But the above uw and FA- is superior to everything.
The Patho in KLN is enough. No need to go elsewhere . You repeating. Whats the advantage.The videos - most don't use it.It may help some to remember better. But no advantage to the plan above. Again material is repeated in videos .

Now NBME will give you a score . You will get close to that .

If its low and unacceptable then do UW and FA again .

Now NBME should be over 240.

If not, you need a a tutor. You need someone to examine the situation and tell you where your issues are. Those issues can be resolved.

in the exam - 5 blocks are easy that's where you get your 240/250 .
2 blocks are hard - really hard . You may get 15 right in each of the 2 blocks The 2 tough blocks could come as first 2 blocks. Try to get your head around this . When you come out you feel like you ran amok and did badly . That's normal.

That's about it . Hit the books. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts