USMLE Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Am a resident in neurosurgery and finishing my master degree thess days and I just returned from Boston few months ago attending the world neurosurgery conference and I met there with many professors and had many connections and am international memeber in American Neurosurgery Association and I want to give the USMLE exams right now but first of all ,I want to know if is it possible to get neurosurgery residency there or fellowship if u get high score or reasonable?

·
Registered
121 Posts
hello,
welcome to the world of usmle. Just follow the threads , u will find your desired info there. for additional info,from where did you finished your graduation?which country?sometimes, in rare cases , they might consider any type of syllabus/skill ,they think close to equal.But dont want to rise your hopes up. I have heard of only one person who could do so.hope for the best.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
It's not impossible

Yes, you can get Neurosurgery residency but the road is not filled with roses :(

Here's what you should do:

1- Publications (in your name) in recognized peer reviewed Medline journals.
2- Contact your new connections and ask them to find you observerships and research oppertunities
3- Step 1 score of 99 and Step 2 CK score of 99 and Pass CS first attempt
4- Do observerships and research in neurosurgery in USA
5- Get letters for recommendations from the people whom you've done observerships and research with
6- Find IMG friendly neurosurgery programs and try to go there for volunteering and request appointments with the program director
7- After all these steps and years of hard work you can have a chance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm graduated from faculty of medicine, Cairo university in Egypt one of the biggest hospital and oldest one in middle east. And I have master degree too but from nearby university in Egypt also. My 3 professors of neurosurgery are all American board certified and they recommended me before to many connections in USA and I did have hand-on-skills in Louisiana university for 2 months and all professors in USA told me finish the USMLE first then come.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i'm graduated from faculty of medicine, Cairo university in Egypt one of the biggest hospital and oldest one in middle east. And I have master degree too but from nearby university in Egypt also. My 3 professors of neurosurgery are all American board certified and they recommended me before to many connections in USA and I did have hand-on-skills in Louisiana university for 2 months and all professors in USA told me finish the USMLE first then come.
HOW are your professors board certified???
how can a neurosurgeon become board certified in country other then USA....like in other words....IS THERE some special exam to becom board certified....like mrcs.....theres one after you finish residency in usa.....or CAN we also give that exam........or YOUR professors did residency from usa.....then they were certified then they came back.....please answer my querries...thanks in anticipation.........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi, welcome first of all ,
\my professors were board certified they finish their residency and were in usa for about 15 yrs before they return to egypt that's why they are american board holders in neurosurgery ,u can't get board certified without residency in usa sure

·
Registered
47 Posts
\my professors were board certified they finish their residency and were in usa for about 15 yrs before they return to egypt that's why they are american board holders in neurosurgery ,u can't get board certified without residency in usa sure
Hi Dr Moh Ali

Did you proceed in your Journey to become a neurosurgeon in USA??

What about your scores???

Regards

·
Registered
24 Posts
very prompt reply...
i hav a Q ...how much is the duration of neurosurgery course in egypt??
in india it is minimum of 6 years in india
if you want to got to usa ...it = either a fellowship
or residency and it is residency that you may /may not get after doin fellowship.......
so long road for any indian trained neurosurgeon to go to usa and train again.....= 13 years or neurosurgery residency after 6 years of MBBS ....and neurosurgery residency = toughest to do ....
Your professsors came back after completing residencies in USA?? personal reason / govt commitment???
bye tc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts