USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone taken exam after 15th may,2010. let the person tell us his experience abt the new exam pattern. am so curious to know. pls post ur experience.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
It was terrible

I've taken the exam three days ago :(

I don't what was it before but what I have seen it's terrible :scared:

Each block is 46 question. I cannot remember that I've seen any short non-clinical question they were very few of them.

Many many graphics and charts

Few audios, no vidoes

questions were really really confusing and difficult

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've taken the exam three days ago :(

I don't what was it before but what I have seen it's terrible :scared:

Each block is 46 question. I cannot remember that I've seen any short non-clinical question they were very few of them.

Many many graphics and charts

Few audios, no vidoes

questions were really really confusing and difficult
Was it harder than the usmle world qbank?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whaoo if it is hareder than u world then we r gone cos we dont ve any other Q BANK harder than u world to practise with. the practise test in their website is ok for me and it is the same concept tested but more in a clinical approach. what r we going to do ? u world people need to update to the new usmle changes.
Is it the same concept or totally different new thing ? pls explain more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is there, any better way to study?

Whoooa . . It makes me little nervous . . Later, please inform us how much your score alright ??? pleaseee . . . hehehe, and do you have any suggestion how we should study ??? especially for graphic things and audio ?:D:D:D

·
Registered
919 Posts
tht was one person's experience. it may not be the same for rest of u. don't feel down. u really think the boards decided to make the questions super tough overnight for everyone? as far as i am concerned, it has become far more easy to study for any medical exam than it was yonks ago (without internet and extensive exercise). just chill, stick to yr study schedule and u'll be fine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I took the exam may 27th. It was hard as heck. Many graphs, lots of math and some unbelievably hard Physio questions- arrows going up and down and just a picture with a circle saying which way are the arrows suppsoe to go.

They did drop it down to 46 questions, but I think they left out the gimmie questions.

I don't get why they decided to switch the exam in the middle of may? This doesn't make sense. Every other exam change they waited until the start of the new year. Makes me wonder things.

Good luck, you'll need it.

I took 4 nbme's before taking this exam. I scored about 220 usmle score. But I don't beleive I passed this exam.

Your best bet is to use usmlerx.com questions.

Read ALL the question through. Don't read the 1st line and the last line. They put in the middle of the question something that makes it something different. It starts off with lead in questions.. ex.. thinking its meningitis (correct), so you start thinking- bacteria (N. Men, if 15 year old).. but in the middle part of q's they'll throw stuff in like, gram stain was negative. OH NOOOOOOOO, must be a virus then.....

read your questions carfully.

still didn't have enough time to finish blocks, was always in a hurry and that was with 46 questions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Confused !

@Peewee : I took the exam may 27th. It was hard as heck. Many graphs, lots of math and ......

@Alesander2010 : I've taken the exam three days ago,,,,I don't what was it before but what I have seen it's terrible...

:confused: Hi, Peewee and Alesander2010, same person with different user names ? :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
@Peewee : I took the exam may 27th. It was hard as heck. Many graphs, lots of math and ......

@Alesander2010 : I've taken the exam three days ago,,,,I don't what was it before but what I have seen it's terrible...

:confused: Hi, Peewee and Alesander2010, same person with different user names ? :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:
No, am not Peewee :sleepy:

·
Registered
365 Posts
sorry, I'm my own mind. Not sure who the other guy is.

kind of sounds like we had the same type of exam. I wonder if thats going to be the norm?

A friend of mine took the exam end of March and she said it was a lot of 1 or 2 line questions. Mine was about 5-8 lines and had lots of labs put on it.

When the ECFMG sent out information saying the exam was changing and going more clinical, I didn't think there would be so many graphs. I mean how often does a doctor see graphs about stats and kidney? unless you are in research.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:scared:Reading these threads really scares and discourage people....yacks!!!

sorry, I'm my own mind. Not sure who the other guy is.

kind of sounds like we had the same type of exam. I wonder if thats going to be the norm?

A firned of mine took the exam end of March and she said it was a lot of 1 or 2 line questions. Mine was about 5-8 lines and had lots of labs put on it.

When the ecfmg sent out information saying the exam was changing and going more clinical, I didn't think there would be so many graphs. I mean how often does a doctor see graphs about stats and kidney? unless you are in research.

·
Registered
316 Posts

reading about this particular thread z really annoying me... you guys urself asked who took da xam after 15 may and asked how was it lyk... when da guys who took da xam are answering u r humiliating them... calm down guys if the xam got difficult its not alesander or peewees mistake, tey are nt discouraging u but preparing u mentally for wat r u going to face in the future... noone z discouraging on this forums i think... we r all working mutually for our better survival in medical field... so guys calm down and think about wat these guys r saying.... we are all friends!!!:)

Reactions: khanar

·
Registered
487 Posts
reading about this particular thread z really annoying me... you guys urself asked who took da xam after 15 may and asked how was it lyk... when da guys who took da xam are answering u r humiliating them... calm down guys if the xam got difficult its not alesander or peewees mistake, tey are nt discouraging u but preparing u mentally for wat r u going to face in the future... noone z discouraging on this forums i think... we r all working mutually for our better survival in medical field... so guys calm down and think about wat these guys r saying.... we are all friends!!!:)
i totally agree with u....they instead preparing us for working hard...thanks Peewee and Alesander2010...for shearing ur experience...:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fellow Docs, calm down and breath deep please: There are many versions, I mean new reconstructed versions, clinically based of the exams. If you are really into a panic mode, you are setting yourself up for failures and you are even setting greater psychological impacts on you and closed ones. Just relax and ask yourself "what would a doctor do?"

This is what the USMLE wants you to understand, and I spoke to a few friends who also took the new exams, and they told me that most of the graphs are distractors b/c the answers, if you read carefully, are already given in the questions; even better than how it used to be.

The board wants to see if you can apply some logic, basic concepts on what you know and already knew. Those profs and physicians who made those questions are not really trying to fail anyone, and some may be even experimenting on new materials, and that can cause you to go crazy because of the way those questions are presented ( in their minds, they believe they are always right also)

You need to be smarter and be ahead of the game by trying to apply clinical concepts to anything that you read or will read from now on. They may give you a question about a guy with cluster headache and they give you a graph about black people, white and others and ask you to point who will be at risk of having CH more often. Just basic stuff, and a secondary can be a graph with percentage asking you the rate of Cluster headache, which you already know is 2 %. They can even give you a graph with time, hours and minutes; asking you to point on how long the disease may last.

All you have to do is just be smart by being a reader instead of being a machine that just swallows answer from qbanks. The board is getting hard on those facts because of repeated incidents about those who are in clinicals who can't even do simple reasoning. they are trying to make you remember instead of memorizing without getting the concepts of medical practices.

One reason i was told that doing some of the older Qbanks are of advantage is because most of those questions were already made with just that in mind. I remember my old kaplan bank, a word document, most of those questions are set on clinical basis. believe me, a pal told me they were like a trip in the past, and all he had to do is read through, click and move on.

Please give yourself a reason to fail, but don't give yourself a failing attitude. You are smarter than the board, they are just trying to see if you can keep the flow....

·
Registered
3 Posts
:)
i totally agree with u....they instead preparing us for working hard...thanks Peewee and Alesander2010...for shearing ur experience...:)
I am very glad they are sharing their experince...it is not what they are saying...it is what USMLE is trying to do to us....discourage us to pursue our dream of becoming doctors here...Nothing against anyone....on the contrary, please keep posting experiences...hope everyone who posted their experiences pass with flying colors....
Best of luck and YEs, we are all friends:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear doctor logical66,

Thank you for this input....very true....it is all about how to apply concepts...not regurgitating memorized knowledge....It will definately make us better doctors!!!
Thank you very much....well said!!
Best of luck!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts