USMLE Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I just want to tell you that I did not read biochemistry at all not Kaplan not FA.
I did only questions about it.
Of course I prepared everything else perfectly.

Guess what
I got 94

In my exam there were few biochemistry questions and most of them I think I got right because they were not so deep biochemistry enzymes or pathways and mostly physiology related.

So spare yourself the headache and don't read the biochemistry with it's devastating Kreb's, urea, and ETC cycles :eek:

G

·
Are you serious !!
How come you are telling people not to read biochemistry
How many questions biochemistry and biochemistry related questions did you get in your exam?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you serious !!
How come you are telling people not to read biochemistry
How many questions biochemistry and biochemistry related questions did you get in your exam?
Yes, am serious
Go and read this thread
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-1-forum/354-usmle-questions-distribution.html

You will see that for biochemistry, molecular biology, and genetics combined you have only 8% of the questions.
I did not say do not read genetics or molecular biology.
So pure biochemistry questions constitute may be less than 4% of the USMLE Step 1 questions.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to disagree with you
In my exam there were many biochemistry questions and certainly I'd had lower grades if were not to review biochemistry.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, just to add, I have no personal experience, but a guy I met did the Step 1 and got a very high score (late 90s or 99). He doesn't like biochemistry, and said that there were very few biochem questions in his exam and they were simple. He was happy about that, and told us not to worry too much about biochem.

But I would imagine it varies from one exam to another. More people who have already taken the exam should be asked about this.

·
Registered
919 Posts
thank u for all advices and comments

i was just gonna start on my biochem studies in 2 weeks. as per my own schedule. i'm not saying i wont be reading up on biochem, but i now know how much to mock up for each subject.
as ive learnt so far also, the kaplan notes tells us what to concentrate on and in some subjects like anatomy they really dont specify what we would be asked. so is that also an indicator of what's important for the exam?
its now january (i've finished learning 2 subjects n have 5 to go) and ill be taking the exam in october. do u guys think i have enough time?

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
i was just gonna start on my biochem studies in 2 weeks. as per my own schedule. i'm not saying i wont be reading up on biochem, but i now know how much to mock up for each subject.
as ive learnt so far also, the kaplan notes tells us what to concentrate on and in some subjects like anatomy they really dont specify what we would be asked. so is that also an indicator of what's important for the exam?
its now january (i've finished learning 2 subjects n have 5 to go) and ill be taking the exam in october. do u guys think i have enough time?
Of course you have more than enough time from now until October.
Kaplan notes are all high yield. There's nothing in them that's not high yield. You should read them carefully.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Please donot listen to this topic.... Biochem and genetics and molecular are very high yield.... More than 60-70 % of my xam were from these topics....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts