USMLE Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could someone please tell me about the normal investigation lab values that I need to know, for the step one exam i. e. the normal values or ranges that i will not be provided with in the step one exam, and so i need to know for myself? eg: lung volumes and capacities.

· Registered
741 Posts
Just the common panels

You need to memorize the common lab values such as the electrolytes and the CBC, LFT, and renal function.

Other than that, you don't need to memorize anything as it will be provided.

Certainly you don't need to memorize the normal lung volumes, just have a general idea.

This issue has been previously discussed here http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-s...mal-reference-ranges-lab-values-fo-usmle.html

· Registered
741 Posts
Here's more explanation

but during my step one practice session, these values were provided.
ch as the electrolytes and the CBC, LFT, and renal function.
Yes. They are all provided.
But in the exam you will be facing long clinical vignettes with lots of lab values like these. If you go and check the normal range for each one of these common lab values you will be losing precious time. While if you know by heart the normal ranges you can then solve the questions much more quickly and efficiently.

In fact, the NBME, deliberately does not give the normal ranges in the question stem itself ( you have to check it in the lab ranges panel provided in FRED V2 ). This means it takes time and this means they want you to be aware of them if you want to save time.

While rare labs, like the hormonal levels for example. They give you the normal range within the question stem itself, therefore, it means they don't want you to memorize these rare values.

· Registered
751 Posts
To be honest, I didn't memorize a single lab value for the exam! I used the built-in lab reference. However, I recommend you know at least the normal ranges of the common electrolytes (Na, K, Ca, Cl, HCO3,..etc). The rest, which do not appear as often, you can rely on the built-in lab reference.

· Registered
350 Posts
Normal values

In physiology and pharmacology we have to memorize a lot of normal values like normal serum Na level k level Po2 etc...
can some one tell me where we can find all normal lab values..
Its not in Q-book so in FA?
I wasted a lot of time of making my own page of normal lab values especially of CVS and RESPIRATORY units..:(

· Registered
4,337 Posts
In physiology and pharmacology we have to memorize a lot of normal values like normal serum Na level k level Po2 etc...
can some one tell me where we can find all normal lab values..
Its not in Q-book so in FA?
I wasted a lot of time of making my own page of normal lab values especially of CVS and RESPIRATORY units..:(
You don't need to memorize them.

· Registered
350 Posts
i love this post really?
why ..why i dont have to remember them?
i have been taught that u will lose much time in FRED II for looking up all normal values..
if they are given in question stem then its alright otherwise we have to remember..:(
what u say?

· Registered
4,337 Posts
i love this post really?
why ..why i dont have to remember them?
i have been taught that u will lose much time in FRED II for looking up all normal values..
if they are given in question stem then its alright otherwise we have to remember..:(
what u say?
Just memorize the CBC and electrolytes. All others are rare and you don't need them frequently in the exam.
Usually when there is something unusual for example, Prolactin level, they give the normal range in the question itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.