USMLE Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A notable change in the ERAS software this year is the mandatory assignment of a specific specialty and field of medicine to the Letter of Recommendation (LoR) that you put in your application.

In the previous years, we used to send our LoRs without specifying whether it's about a particular specialty. We were able though to assign the LoR that we want to the specialty that we choose. For example, if we had tow LoRs one medical and another surgical then we were able to (manually) assign the surgical LoR to our surgical applications and likewise for the medical LoR.

This time, however, you have to specify each and every LoR you include in your application for a cetain specialty.

It looks like that ERAS has discovered that many LoRs are inappropriately and mistakenly assigned to the wrong application. Just imagine that you send a surgical LoR to a family medicine program director! It would be disastrous, to say the least.

They will also screen every LoR that is submitted by the thousands of ERAS applicants this year and match it to the specified specialty. If they found it (unmatched) they'll send you an email to verify with you.

This in a way a good improvement in ERAS saving us the embarrassment.

However, if you have a generic LoR (that can work with any specialty) you still can choose "all specialties" from the drop down menu in the software, denoting the general purpose of that LoR.

Also, you can ask your FM LoR writer for example to recommend you for an IM residency, that's allowed, and in that case you choose the IM specialty in the form and not the FM specialty of course.

Attachments

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's how

i dont hav it mentioned anywhere on my lor....but they r all from medicine faculty....is ther a slot for entering the specialty program...can u send me a link???
Log in to your ERAS then click on the documents tab then click on the letters of recommendations subtab and you will see a form that ask you to input the letter writer, his titles, and what specialty you would like to choose for your LoR.
If your LoRs are all from IM faculty and you are applying for IM then it's wise to choose the IM specialty for those LoRs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts