Behavioral : Kaplan
And FA ofcourse :)

Kaplan Qbank (4 months back) : 77 %
UsmleRx(2 months back) : 85 %
UW(last 1.5 month) : 84 %

NBME 13 (1.5 month back): 254
NBME 16 (3 days back ) : 254
UWSA1 and 2 : 265

As I am a student so it was crucial for me to accommodate both studies so I had to form a proper schedule. I always had a vision of giving step 1 after my basic sciences completion so I grabbed the usmle review books along with my course books, so it definitely helped in my later part of my review.
Made a proper schedule in December 2013, mostly of what to do first and when to finish and so on.
The Zum Zum method in the forum definitely helped me in making a proper schedule.
So did the 1st and 2nd read and annotated on FA, can't emphasize enough the importance of this part which definitely helps in the last 2 weeks when you are only reviewing FA. So I had heavily annotated my FA with high yield stuff which was not in FA, but beware, at first because you tend to annotate a lot, but as you go along you will definitely be able to differentiate what is high yield and what is not.
As you complete the first reads and all, you are now prepared to tackle the questions, that's what I did. Started with Kaplan, did timed random and finished with a 77 %. Annotated any high yield part in FA.
Grabbed UsmleRx then, and finished with 85%.
Last 1.5 months I only did UW, doing the Kaplan and UsmleRx qbanks prepared me for UW, so I was able to grab more from it I think and annotate quickly as I knew FA from inside out by then.
If u have to choose from Kaplan or Rx before starting UW, I will suggest you to do Rx because this will help you retain FA which is the most important book in your prep.
In the Last 2 weeks I did only FA + NBME.
By the end I had given 5-6 reads of FA including 3 when doing QBan ks .

Exam Day
I was a bit tensed before starting the exam as everybody is but the anxiety level drops as you start doing questions.
Exam was well generalized, had wtf the questions that you can't do much about it, just picked an educated guess and moved on.
Anatomy was a bit odd and tough than expected but was not much, hardly 10-20 questions.
Biostatistics was easy and doable from FA
Pharm was easy and all from FA .
Ethics questions were odd, most times you can narrow it down to 2-3 options and they all seem right, lol, so pick an option which you think an ideal physician should do and move on.
The stems were longer than expected , also I marked more in the exam (4 -5 blocks I marked closed to 8-9 or more ) though in UW I usually marked 5-6 , but I always have been a fast reader so had plenty of time to review the marked ones.
The exam was definitely tougher than UW and NBME, I honestly thought I had failed after the getting out from the exam room, but the score in the end came out to be exactly close to my NBME.
So on the exam day don't overthink, trust in yourself and your NBME scores. You are bound to get some freakishly hard questions of which you can't do much about it , so don't sweat on it much , chances are that they can be experimental questions or everybody did bad on it and you will still score good.
2 murmurs --> were easy
2-3 CTs
1 MRI
And numerous slides and pic --> 2 which I couldn't figure out but took a guess after reading a stem.

That's it guys , this forum and whatsapp gps had been a major support for me along the prep . I wish you all Good luck with your preparation and I hope you all people score great :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
congrats!

Hey congratulations.! that's an amazing score!

How much total prep time did you give? was it without any breaks? as for medical students there are wards and shelf exams to deal with, how many hours did you read everyday?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey congratulations.! that's an amazing score!

How much total prep time did you give? was it without any breaks? as for medical students there are wards and shelf exams to deal with, how many hours did you read everyday?
yup there were a lot of breaks ... for which you have to plan accordingly in your schedule , thats what i did

·
Registered
306 Posts
about UW
1,How much time did u take to finish a block reading + annotation ?
2,how much stuff approx. did u need to add to FA from UW ?
3, did u annotate in FA or not and why ?

congrats:)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
about UW
1,How much time did u take to finish a block reading + annotation ?
2,how much stuff approx. did u need to add to FA from UW ?
3, did u annotate in FA or not and why ?

congrats:)
1- 3-4 hours per block
2 - anything important that i felt , or any new stuff i see on UW -- there were a lot of notes on FA after the Qbank finished
3 - i annotated everything on FA --> unbinded it and added notes if there was less space .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts