USMLE Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for observership opportunities in the web. And I found out that Harvard and Massachusetts General hospital actually provide observerships in any specialty for IMGs!

But the shocking news is that it costs up to $1000 per day!! :eek:

Yes, am not kidding see this page
http://www2.massgeneral.org/vep/observerships.html

God, I wished I had that kind of money :(

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is another proof that money buys anything, even (and mainly) education. Do you really think deep inside you that it is worth paying 1,000 bucks a day just to do shadowing in a clinic? This is NOT a rhetorical question! I am considering doing so myself, in the hypothetical situation I win the lottery or something....:rolleyes: I would kindly welcome your comments...

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It worth the money

@ ath.pantelis
I know this sounds rediculous to pay $1000 for an observership. But you cannot imagine the advantage of having an LOR form a Harvard prof.
In USA they workship three places
Mayo Clinic, Harvard, and John Hopkins.
If you get an LOR from any of these, you are guaranteed a super program placement, no doubt about it.
So if you have the money, it worth every penny of the $100

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know. That's why I'm so suprised. I think observership should be cheaper than clerkships, many places offer it for free. I did mine at UPMC. It doesn't seem FMG friendly. I wouldn't risk that money to get a LOR. Actually, no one gives you a good LOR after several days.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is another point I'd like to refer to... If we assume that a minimum of 3 months is required to be given a LOR (not to mention that the standard mean is 6-12 months...), then the cost is prohibitive. Besides, nobody ensures that any LOR is for granted, even in the case of paying a fee to observe. Eventually, observerships are not considered hands-on clinical experience. After all, I think that the risk is huge and the true benefit subliminal. Especially given that there are other ways to attain trustworthy LORs, gained by one's hard work :eek: and not by their heavy wallet :cool:. (I'm saying so, because my wallet is emptier than a vacuum chamber!:notsure:) (these new emoticons are really rockin', dudes!)

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I insist

Yes, what ath and zamy are saying is the ideal perfect world.

But let me tell you about the reality.

When the "very busy" PD looks at your LOR they look at two things.
The letterhead above
The signature below

They don't read in between those two header and footer and they don't care whatever was said about you. They know very well that any observership is just an "observership" no matter what.

So even a few days of Harvard ovservership will take long way toward your residency. That's why they made such prices because they know poeple will pay, otherwise they wouldn't price themselves such high.

Unfortunately, in USA, things go by appearance and how nice you look. Your core knowledge, hard work, and sincerely will only play role later on when you are inside but to get to the gateway you have to polish yourself.

Anyway, that's just my opinion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts