USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm just starting to prepare for step 1, I'm an IMG that worked until May 2010 (when I moved to the US) - been working ever since graduation in Europe (have an European specialty and 10 yrs work experience). I read that doing some externships or observerships in the U.S. could help me with the match later.
Here are my questions:
1. Do I need to have the USMLE certificate in order to do an externship?
2. Can I do them at any clinic / local hospital?
I do know some people at the local hospital here, it's small but it could be a start for an observership possibly.
3. How long should these externships / observerships be?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hmm...I noticed that you mentioned that have 10 years work experience...This means that you are graduate for at least 10 years.
I am so sorry to tell you it is very very difficult to be matched even with high scores...

But on the other hand, You can make it...How ?:eek:
You said that you moved to U.S...You have to make connections with doctors & program directors & ask them about your chances.
If you make a good relationships with them & they told you they will back you, you will be matched!:D:D

For your questions :

1-No it is not required...but generally in increases your chances
2-Every place has its rules, if these people could help you...go with them. But try also to find better places of you could
3-More you do...more you get benefits (for your case, I suggest at least for 1 year & apply for steps within that year)

P.S : Externships are far better that Observerships since the former are hands-on

Good Luck

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Answers

Hello,
1. Do I need to have the USMLE certificate in order to do an externship?
No you don't need but it's better if you have at least one score in hand.

2. Can I do them at any clinic / local hospital?
I do know some people at the local hospital here, it's small but it could be a start for an observership possibly.
Yes, that's a great start

3. How long should these externships / observerships be?
Most program require 3 months. Some of them say 6 months.
Most programs require hands-on experience (externships) and few of them accept (observerships)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"old" IMG

Hmm...I noticed that you mentioned that have 10 years work experience...This means that you are graduate for at least 10 years.
I am so sorry to tell you it is very very difficult to be matched even with high scores...

But on the other hand, You can make it...How ?:eek:
You said that you moved to U.S...You have to make connections with doctors & program directors & ask them about your chances.
If you make a good relationships with them & they told you they will back you, you will be matched!:D:D

For your questions :

1-No it is not required...but generally in increases your chances
2-Every place has its rules, if these people could help you...go with them. But try also to find better places of you could
3-More you do...more you get benefits (for your case, I suggest at least for 1 year & apply for steps within that year)

P.S : Externships are far better that Observerships since the former are hands-on

Good Luck
I suppose I'm an "old" IMG, if being in the mid 30s is being old :eek:.
I know it's gonna be tough but it´s doable, and I think that my background will actually help me!

I'm already looking into doing an observership, as I understand that in order to do an externship you must have your ECFMG certificate?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

No you don't need but it's better if you have at least one score in hand.

Yes, that's a great start

Most program require 3 months. Some of them say 6 months.
Most programs require hands-on experience (externships) and few of them accept (observerships)
Thanks, I hadn't seen this post until I posted the other one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Externships @ group practices

Will externships/observerships @ group practices be considered as USCE. I might be able to find work @ a group practice of 5 GI physicians.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts