USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,
I am an old IMG 2009, currently in US doing MPH, planning to start with USMLE Step 1.
Any guidance/motivation/study plan/time frames/materials to focus...anything is welcome and appreciated.

This post may be helpful for all the old grads gathering the courage to take on this mammoth task.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hello friends,
I am an old IMG 2009, currently in US doing MPH, planning to start with USMLE Step 1.
Any guidance/motivation/study plan/time frames/materials to focus...anything is welcome and appreciated.

This post may be helpful for all the old grads gathering the courage to take on this mammoth task.

Thank you in advance
Hello,
Step 1 might take anywhere from 4-7 months to prepare depending on how much time you are able to spend. Given that you are doing MPH and would be busy, I would say 6 months is a safe bet to start with at least. Focus on the time tested materials for IMGs, i.e. Kaplan to build a knowledge base (you can skip it if you feel confident but given that you are an old grad, it could be very useful to touch up on some areas), UW and FA 2016 (to consolidate). See how you are performing on the nbme's and pace yourself according to that till to reach a score you are comfortable with when you can take the exam. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
Step 1 might take anywhere from 4-7 months to prepare depending on how much time you are able to spend. Given that you are doing MPH and would be busy, I would say 6 months is a safe bet to start with at least. Focus on the time tested materials for IMGs, i.e. Kaplan to build a knowledge base (you can skip it if you feel confident but given that you are an old grad, it could be very useful to touch up on some areas), UW and FA 2016 (to consolidate). See how you are performing on the nbme's and pace yourself according to that till to reach a score you are comfortable with when you can take the exam. Good luck!
Thank you dsrp for the valuable suggestions.
I am currently left with only a few credit hours of MPH, so relatively free.

I am surely going to give it atleast 6 months, and have started with Kaplan.
But as different people have different approached in terms of which subject/system to study first and how to incorporate UW early or later in their study plan, and what level of information needs to be annotated in FA 2016.
Is it better to just go with the conventional approach of Kaplan book by book or needs to try something different.

I mean sorry but i have so many naive qs i am currently juggling with, but i think everyone at the beginning goes through this anxiety decision making process Happy -2

Thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thank you dsrp for the valuable suggestions.
I am currently left with only a few credit hours of MPH, so relatively free.

I am surely going to give it atleast 6 months, and have started with Kaplan.
But as different people have different approached in terms of which subject/system to study first and how to incorporate UW early or later in their study plan, and what level of information needs to be annotated in FA 2016.
Is it better to just go with the conventional approach of Kaplan book by book or needs to try something different.

I mean sorry but i have so many naive qs i am currently juggling with, but i think everyone at the beginning goes through this anxiety decision making process Happy -2

Thanks
That's great you are almost done with MPH. Kaplan step 1 subjects have a particular order in which they are usually read (though not everyone sticks to it, I think its better if you do because of the manner in which information is laid out. For example, doing kaplan pharm before micro may not be such a good idea as you will be missing a chunk of related high yield material as a foundation for antimicrobial therapy). You can find the specific order of subjects in older posts from this forum.
Its better to start UW early, as you would be familiar and comfortable with the question format from early on. Everybody has a different approach as to how to go about it I guess but I would read a subject for kaplan and do UW for that subject (just the questions without reading the explanations). Then once I am done with all the subjects in kaplan, I reset UW and started doing it again but this with explanations. Sadly, I did not have time to read entire UW (which I regret). Reading UW with explanations is also the time you would ideally write down stuff in FA 2016 (not everything needs to annotated as that is not really practical, just stuff you are not comfortable with, though once you are into UW you would realize there are a lot of such topics!). Final aspect of my prep was to read FA 2016 in the last 20 days (again something I screwed up, as FA takes anywhere from 1 to 1.5 months to be really thorough). Try to go through kaplan relatively quickly (but at a pace you are comfortable with and not merely doing it just for the sake of it) and focus on UW and FA to consolidate the information.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dsrp for the reply.
I agree with you that its better to have a definitive approach as to which order to follow in terms of subject wise. But i have read a few blogs and people are actually doing it system wise now rather than subject based. But i will stick to convential approach in this regard and planning to do Kaplan LN first with videos.

Right now i have started off with Kaplan Physio + Its DVDs (probably 2010) + Dr Najeec lec videos for topics i dont understand comfortably + UW (Untimed tutor mode) and explanations for each qs whether right or wrong
I read and also heard from many people that its better to start UW with explanations from the very start in order to hold on to your conceptual knowledge. I am doing UW qs for each system i finish in Kaplan LN.

I hope i am on the right track though its been just 1 week so far.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks dsrp for the reply.
I agree with you that its better to have a definitive approach as to which order to follow in terms of subject wise. But i have read a few blogs and people are actually doing it system wise now rather than subject based. But i will stick to convential approach in this regard and planning to do Kaplan LN first with videos.

Right now i have started off with Kaplan Physio + Its DVDs (probably 2010) + Dr Najeec lec videos for topics i dont understand comfortably + UW (Untimed tutor mode) and explanations for each qs whether right or wrong
I read and also heard from many people that its better to start UW with explanations from the very start in order to hold on to your conceptual knowledge. I am doing UW qs for each system i finish in Kaplan LN.

I hope i am on the right track though its been just 1 week so far.
Yep sounds just about right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey I m new in USA and 2009 img and I m planning to give step 1 in 6 months but I need advise that am I too old graduate to give exam ? Plz help me out I m worried

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can do it

Hey I m new in USA and 2009 img and I m planning to give step 1 in 6 months but I need advise that am I too old graduate to give exam ? Plz help me out I m worried
There is an IMG graduated in 1986 and matched this year. Impossible is possible. Just try to find a study partner and make a clear plan and stick to it. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats the very same reason i created this post.
I am also 2009 IMG in US, and planning to give step 1 within 6-9 months.
I have started with physio with Kaplan notes with Kaplan videos and Dr Najeeb videos only for the topics that are difficult, as he explains very well, but his videos are very lenghty and you can't watch all of them.

Will keep on updating on this post as will progress in the study.

Your feedback is always appreciated like which topics/resources are you considering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks dr Faisal for reply we r on same boat I think :) I have started with biochemistry bcz it sounds difficult to me so I started with Kaplan lecture notes and videos .. Plz update me with your progress too .. I will keep u update and good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
old graduate too

I graduated in 2007. Finish my internship in the year 2008. Came to USA with F1 Visa and did a MS in health care admin, by the time I realize graduation year is important more than score , its already 2012 end..MS took 2 years. Then went to Kaplan bt few months later got to know they will shut the Kaplan for less students..Got to protect my Visa Status..so had to search for COMMUNITY college as I can't afford another MS from USA as its time consuming as well as money consming..finally got the college it was already 2014..a whole mess and start reading Step1 Kaplan books n doing classes in community college..Finally started U world and first aid after reading kaplan books but couldn't give enough time on Step 1 reading as Home works, exams, assignments etc are always makes me busy. Finally took an nbme 17 in Feb and scored below 217 and thought I should cancel the test and postponed to 31st March. I was going to school doing the home works and all. I have to take it on 31st march as that is the last eligibility period otherwise I have to pay 865 dollars again as I already paid twice..so took nbme 18 yesterday night..score drops below 200. I am totally devastated, shocked n frustated...so just cancel the test few mintues ago and I know my family will be go mad over me but I just can't go with this score. I was trying to get 230..Did FA twice and U World twice though not continously as i can't read step1 everyday for my school. Now I am planning as in Summer I am not taking any courses so I will utilize this time properly to make this happen. I will have off from (May7 to Aug25th) Its very annoying when you left everything just for this exam and got disappointment.

But I am determine that I am gonna make it happen whatever bad things come into my way!

never lose hope even when there is nothing come to your ways! Thats what I have learnt from few years!

Thanks.

Tanzina

·
Registered
46 Posts
hi

Hope you can find the way to do it.
I was wondering what are you doing at community college now ? I was looking into MS but they are too expensive.

I graduated in 2007. Finish my internship in the year 2008. Came to USA with F1 Visa and did a MS in health care admin, by the time I realize graduation year is important more than score , its already 2012 end..MS took 2 years. Then went to Kaplan bt few months later got to know they will shut the Kaplan for less students..Got to protect my Visa Status..so had to search for COMMUNITY college as I can't afford another MS from USA as its time consuming as well as money consming..finally got the college it was already 2014..a whole mess and start reading Step1 Kaplan books n doing classes in community college..Finally started U world and first aid after reading kaplan books but couldn't give enough time on Step 1 reading as Home works, exams, assignments etc are always makes me busy. Finally took an nbme 17 in Feb and scored below 217 and thought I should cancel the test and postponed to 31st March. I was going to school doing the home works and all. I have to take it on 31st march as that is the last eligibility period otherwise I have to pay 865 dollars again as I already paid twice..so took nbme 18 yesterday night..score drops below 200. I am totally devastated, shocked n frustated...so just cancel the test few mintues ago and I know my family will be go mad over me but I just can't go with this score. I was trying to get 230..Did FA twice and U World twice though not continously as i can't read step1 everyday for my school. Now I am planning as in Summer I am not taking any courses so I will utilize this time properly to make this happen. I will have off from (May7 to Aug25th) Its very annoying when you left everything just for this exam and got disappointment.

But I am determine that I am gonna make it happen whatever bad things come into my way!

never lose hope even when there is nothing come to your ways! Thats what I have learnt from few years!

Thanks.

Tanzina

·
Registered
75 Posts
old img

hello everyone !
im also an old img , graduated on 31st december 2010!
another red flag in my case is i took step 1 last year and failed.
im re-taking exam in 3-4 months .

my sources would be kaplan , FA and UW !
im starting with biochem kaplan .

Dr Faisal you have done a good job by starting this thread for old imgs !!
this is really gonna help all of us .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dr tanzina don't worry everything will be fine with u nothing is impossible .. U will be fine and u r doing great job ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Old IMG Too!

Hello,

Thanks to you and Dr. Faisal.. now I know I'm not alone. I myself is a very old IMG...2006 YOG. I'm in the US but I dedicated myself providing and raising my child as a single parent for the past several years, and now older and going to college, I am determined to get back in track. I work full time 3x 12's/wk and sometimes pick up HH patients every now and then. I am only in the early stages of my journey and I don't know where and how to start. I initially ordered FA but I'm already lost and confused... :confused: don't know if it's my older brain or the material is not appropriate for me at this point in the process, but I will follow dsrp's advice - thanks to you dsrp, I really appreciate your input!

And for all the other older IMG's out there, let's support each other and share our own personal journey so that we can inspire and help one another achieve our goals!:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is an IMG graduated in 1986 and matched this year. Impossible is possible. Just try to find a study partner and make a clear plan and stick to it. Good luck!
That is so inspiring to know that there is hope for me too.. (YOG 1996) and for all of us very old IMG's. Thank you for posting!:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Indeed this will be of great help for all old imgs who need motivation and confidence to start up with this journey and excel with full determination n energy.
Thanks!
God Bless!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts