USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we have a muscle that have been paralyzed< not moving for some reason: cast or nerve energy> for two weeks. Now we are testing the muscle< biopsy and examine the blood inside this muscle> what changes will happen to the: CK and to the blood flow: < increase , decrease or stay normal>

Any idea
Thanks

·
Registered
919 Posts
If there is muscle destrophy then the CK should increase not decrease.
sorry dr.nano:sorry:, thats what he said, CK will increase. :)

but saying due to dystrophy is not good enough. these enzymes are released from once healthy cells due to damage to its cell membranes and organelles insides. so any kind of damage to muscles or tissues releases all sorts of enzymes. like troponin in angina, AST in alcoholic hepatitis and ALT in viral hepatitis, ALP in osteodystrophies... and the list goes on... :happy:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about the two weeks interval. Is this enough time for the enzymes to start leaking out of the cells??

I looked it up i saw one study talking about the same idea: compare two muscles one been paralyzed and the other one is not and they were examining the tow muscles periodically for the first two weeks there no significant changes in the enzymes in the two tested muscles.

Do you remember either Dr, Goljan or Kaplan Drs talking about the same idea????

Thanks.

·
Registered
919 Posts
u are right. i totally missed out that 2 weeks. arrgghh!! u know what, i havent seen anything in kaplan for sure that explains how long it takes for enzymes to be released and until when it lasts (or finally depletes/decreases).

the only thing in kaplan was about the troponin level in MI (about how long can u still detect troponin level and LDH in blood). try goljan rapid review. i havent read that yet. plan to do it in my spare time or not at all. its just way too long.:eek:

sorry cant help u here. perhaps someone else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts