USMLE Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the closure, We have to say to the patient 4 or 5 possible diagnosis.

Those names might be too technical, I know in advance I will have to explain them to the patient. What to do then? What is the best way to say the possible DD's to the patient? How/what to do?? Considering we're running against time???:confused:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Usually two diagnoses and you can say the medical term but explain

There won't be 4 or 5 differentials in your mind when give the closure. It's usually one or maximum two diagnoses in your mind.

You can tell the SP the diagnosis in medical term and then explain what it means, for example

"Mr. Smith, your symptoms and physical examination made me think of two possible diagnoses. My number one suspicion is a viral infection which we call in medical terms (infectious mononucleosis) it's a disease caused by a virus called EBV and it spreads from person to person. We need to take blood tests ....
The other possibility is that you are having a bacterial infection of your throat and most likely this is due to a bacteria called streptococci. We need to take a swab from your throat and send it to the lab .....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.