USMLE Forums banner

Phalen's Maneuver and Tinel's Sign in CS Exam

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tsttm 
#1 ·
Physical examination to confirm the presence of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is something that you may have to do the CS exam.

However, do not do theses clinical maneuvers in each and every case. Not even when you do the full neurological exam. They are needed only if the patient has specific carpal tunnel symptomology.

Better than descriptive words is these two simple YouTube videos

Tapping on the distal radial end may elicit electic feelings in the hand as shown here

#5 ·
both should be done for any wrist pain or arm trauma case with wrist symptoms right?
i don't think trauma..these are to confirm any suspicions of carpal tunnel syndrome or median nerve issues- from my understanding.

The question I posed wasn't so much whether both should be done..rather would you spend a whole minute testing phalen's or a shorter period during the exam; and the opinions seem to be to skip it & just do tinnel's.

I just did the exam (no results yet) and you have to pick & choose what to perform based on the time you have (i would have included phalen's but just for a few seconds)..i realize now they're not going to waste your time..if it's positive they'll tell you right away. Time is very limited...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.