USMLE Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a question about a women has a primary pulmonary hypertension and she did a lung transplant before a month and everything is okay with her, the question is asking which of the following is going to be increased in the transplanted lung??
- blood flow
- airway resistance
- lung compliance
- cough reflex
- mucocillary clearance
- vascular resistance

could you please give the explanation :p

·
Registered
623 Posts
Its increas in blood flow.

Explanation:

Primary pulmonary arterial hypertension involves the vasoconstriction or tightening of blood vessels connected to and within the lungs. This makes it harder for the heart to pump blood through the lungs, Over time, the affected blood vessels become both stiffer and thicker, in a process known as fibrosis. This further increases the blood pressure within the lungs and impairs their blood flow. In addition, the increased workload of the heart causes thickening and enlargement of the right ventricle, making the heart less able to pump blood through the lungs, causing right heart failure. As the blood flowing through the lungs decreases, the left side of the heart receives less blood. This blood may also carry less oxygen than normal. Therefore it becomes harder and harder for the left side of the heart to pump to supply sufficient oxygen to the rest of the body, especially during physical activity.
Transplanted lung gets an increased blood flow compared to the diseased one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i think the answer is increased blood flow and the que also says " compared to the normal " as far as i remember. also there is nothing wrong with the pt means probably no rejection. in chronic rejection the pt will have decreased flow rates and it is due to hypertrophy of the airways.(bronchiolitis obliterans)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following up on an old post - addition of the new lung means that there's now a new organ added in parallel. Because the total resistance in vessels in parallel is 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2..., then the addition of an organ decreases the resistance, meaning that there will be increased flow through the organ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts