USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am a FMG that graduated in dec 2009. I plan to take usmle step 1 in August and step 2 ck in the next July. I want to know if I will be accepted for residency program in 2012 when does matching occur?

Because I want to plan when should I pass step 2 cs and when should I start for externship or observationship for 2 months ?

I mean when is my last time that all my 3 exam score & recommendation letter should be ready (prepare) for participation in matching each year? :eek:

sorry for my bad English :toosad:

I hope that you understand what I said.

I'll appreciate if you can help me.

Thanks a lot

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Time-Lining!

The matching season starts every year in September and continues until February the year after it.

If your last exam is CK or Step 1 then you can take them maximum in July 2011 so that the result are ready before September 2011.

If your last exam is CS then you maximum you have to take your exam in late May 2011 so that the results will be ready by September 2011.

Your letters of recommendations has to be mailed to ECFMG maximum in August 2011 so that it's ready in your ERAS application by September 2011.

If you plan to do observerships and externships then you have to finish them before August 2011 so that the letters of recommendations are ready by September 2011.

If you take your CK in July 2011, then that's too late. You have to take your CK maximum in March 2011, so that you take CS in May 2011 so that then you do two months observerships so that in September you are ready.

However, this is ideally speaking. To have everything ready by September. Many applicants do not finish all these requirements and exams until October or November or even sometimes December.

So the dates that I mentioned above is concerning an ideal early September application but that does not mean you cannot be little later though your chances of getting interviews will be considerably diminished.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for helpful information.
I have another question:If my letter of recommendation has sent to ECFMG but if i didnt participate in matching of that year?
for participation in next year matching i need another LoR?or last year LoR enough?

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Yes, you can but it's not recommended

You can use the same LoR in the year after it and you don't need to send a new LoR. In fact, this is new development this year only. Previously it was not possible.
Read this USMLE News article here
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-news/2920-new-changes-eras.html

However, although it's possible. I don't recommend it at all. Program directors will not like it when they see that your LoR is more than one year old.

Usually, when get an LoR from a physician it's advised to maintain contact with him/her even after you leave. This way you can ask them to update the date on the LoR when you apply the year after so it looks a fresh LoR for the eyes of the program directors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.