USMLE Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exam is on may 15. 2 days from now.
My NBME form 12 is only 260.
I dont know if this is because i wasnt able to answer the first block well because I was panicking when I first answered it.

I was panicking because my UsMLE free150 (143items) is only 66%.
I thought i was doing well in uworld. I didnt expect this.

Im highly considering on cancelling my test. But I would really really want to take it. Im 50-50 now.

Anyone here with low nbme, but still passed the step1?

Pls help me guys...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Hey...

first of all: Stay calm!

1. The 260 is your CBSSA score so this must equal to a 177 in three digit.
If so this means you wouldn't pass.

2. What is your target score?

3. When does your three month period end?

4. Haven you taken any other NBMEs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey...

first of all: Stay calm!

1. The 260 is your CBSSA score so this must equal to a 177 in three digit.
If so this means you wouldn't pass.

2. What is your target score?

3. When does your three month period end?

4. Haven you taken any other NBMEs?
This is the first one that I used. My target is > or = 230. Thanks for the quick reply. I dont know what to do now.

Eligibility period ends on June30.

But I cant take it within this period because my CS is scheduled on June 10.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
This makes things difficult...

maybe you want to think about postponing it for a bit, so you still have enough time to study for CS. Or you take it after CS, this would give you probably another 15-18 days to study.

You should give another NBME today (15 or 16) and see where you end up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering if I change my testing center, would this change my eligibility period too?

Im from Asia, im scheduled to take the CS in LA on June 10. So if Im going to cancel it I might take it there in LA after CS...
This is sooo difficult :-(

I was very sure I am going to take it on May15 thats why I scheduled my CS on June 10 and my CK on July 30. Now Im doomed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
i would say postpone your step 1 exam, you'll need sometime to go over your weak areas to get to a 230. Like dr conrad says, its better to delay than go unprepared coz this score will go a long way. GL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
My exam is on may 15. 2 days from now.
My NBME form 12 is only 260.
I dont know if this is because i wasnt able to answer the first block well because I was panicking when I first answered it.

I was panicking because my UsMLE free150 (143items) is only 66%.
I thought i was doing well in uworld. I didnt expect this.

Im highly considering on cancelling my test. But I would really really want to take it. Im 50-50 now.

Anyone here with low nbme, but still passed the step1?

Pls help me guys...
what I would say is to postpone exam, study first aid , uw notes and uw qbank , finish your FA and uw notes once, take nbme 7 and see where you stand. NBME 12 is the hardest, although i saw many questions that were like nbme 12 but my exam was like nbme 7 question difficulty ... i know you must be tired studying for this stupid exam... but take a break for 2 days, in those 2 days see the wrong questions of nbme 12, and then start revising... does that sound ok to you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
postpone your exam extend your eligibility period to july august september and try to take your step 1 in august will give you enough time if you are going for match this year if not take it in september dont hurry because you arent ready at all and yes take your cs on your scheduled date that is 10th of june if you are satisfied with your prep after that restart with step 1 prep
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
My exam is on may 15. 2 days from now.
My NBME form 12 is only 260.
I dont know if this is because i wasnt able to answer the first block well because I was panicking when I first answered it.

I was panicking because my UsMLE free150 (143items) is only 66%.
I thought i was doing well in uworld. I didnt expect this.

Im highly considering on cancelling my test. But I would really really want to take it. Im 50-50 now.

Anyone here with low nbme, but still passed the step1?

Pls help me guys...
Don't even think about it. from the bottom of my heart: POSTPONE IT. Take CS while you're studying more for step 1 and take more time for step 1 preparation, whatever it takes. You can't change a bad score.
 
  • Like
Reactions: usmled10

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Step-1

postpone ur exam ryt away. Step-1 score is very important. I took nbme-13 on May 11 and got 198. My exam was on June 24th. I postponed it to July 10......Give step-1 first.....CS has one yr elligibility time.......now don't stop studying step1. i will become very hard to start it after CS.....!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you please share us your experience and the preparation you did in the last few weeks and congrats on passing.
I used first aid for step 1 and Uworld. Ü
Those are my only study materials.

2 readings of FA and 1 reading of Uworld. I didnt have time to review my wrong Uworld items, but I reviewed the notes that i took down from Uworld. Total review prep was 2 months.

I was busy preparing my VISA while I was reviewing for step1. My US VISA interview was 2 weeks before my exam. It was such a hassle. But I got my VISA and I passed the Step 1 so I cant complain. Hehe.

My advise is focus and avoid destructions while studying. Also do not take NBME <5 days before the exam. Do it at least 2 weeks prior so that you still have time to review your materials if the results are not favorable.

See my other post. " Failed NBME Passed Step 1"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
hi lady doctor,

I have some questions for u if u have time for the same,

I am old graduate with yog 2009 planning to get matched in 2016.

my question is DO I have sufficient time for this ....?? If Yes,then m planning to take step 1 by december 2014, Is 4 month sufficient to prepare for step1 m yet to start even application process...!!

and what will be the time required to get US VISA and what kind of VISA they give..?..m planning to do step 2cs in april 15,2015 or so with observership starting from march,april and ending in may 2015..coz if I take step1 in december 3rd wk considering everything goes well on time and I will get results of step 1by jan last wk,so I have to have my VISA at hand before February last wk....Is 1 month enough to get VISA in hand.....kindly provide input....m running out of time....thank u in advance...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I used first aid for step 1 and Uworld. Ü
Those are my only study materials.

2 readings of FA and 1 reading of Uworld. I didnt have time to review my wrong Uworld items, but I reviewed the notes that i took down from Uworld. Total review prep was 2 months.

I was busy preparing my VISA while I was reviewing for step1. My US VISA interview was 2 weeks before my exam. It was such a hassle. But I got my VISA and I passed the Step 1 so I cant complain. Hehe.

My advise is focus and avoid destructions while studying. Also do not take NBME <5 days before the exam. Do it at least 2 weeks prior so that you still have time to review your materials if the results are not favorable.

See my other post. " Failed NBME Passed Step 1"
What country did you take the exam?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Cancellation of step1

hi
I am IMG from India ,completed residency in Pediatrics(India).
Desire to do Fellowship in Ped cardiology/ Ped Emergency or Residency in Pediatrics:).

I applied for USMLE step 1 My extended eligibilty period ends on July31
I scheduled my Step1 exam on July 30.

Finished FA ,U world

Uworld self assessment1- 198:indifferent:.
NBME Form 11 - 196:indifferent:.
NBME Form 13 - 202 Happy-2.
Uworld self assessment2-211.(2 weeks before exam).
NBME Form 15 - 217Happy-2.( 5 days before exam).

I am expecting score more than 240.

So m planning to cancel my step 1 exam and reapply with new application and read well for another 8-10 weeks and schedule it.

My question is

1. If we cancel step1 should we pay money $268 to Prometric as my eligibilty is already getting over in a week and i have to reapply with new application :(???

2. Planning to reapply is it a good decision ???

3.How to increase ur score by 20-25 points ???

4. My form 186 Validity is till June 2020 Should we resend all form once again including form 186 ????

Its urgent Please guide me ,help me
Thank you .
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top