USMLE Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
How can renal artery stenosis cause hypotension? I am very confused.

Thank you guys ;)
renal artery stenosis doesnot causes hypotension(infact it causes hypertension). it is related with pre-renal azotemia which happens when there is less perfusion of blood to kidneys. and it is because renal arteries are much narrower.

so when there is low blood supply to kidneys----> Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone System is activated and net effect is hypertension.

and hypotension for sure is related with pre-renal azotemia. for eg: CHF

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
renal artery stenosis doesnot causes hypotension(infact it causes hypertension). it is related with pre-renal azotemia which happens when there is less perfusion of blood to kidneys. and it is because renal arteries are much narrower.

so when there is low blood supply to kidneys----> Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone System is activated and net effect is hypertension.

and hypotension for sure is related with pre-renal azotemia. for eg: CHF
Thats exactly what I am trying to understand . In pre-renal azotemia a patient can have RAS and hypotension?
I know RAS leads to hypertension . Thats why I am confused. I was watching kaplan lecture and he said hypotension :(

Thank you !!!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah its like that : Hypotension due to some reason --> Renal Hypoperfusion ---> Activation of RAAS to get the pressure back to normal . If hypotension is continued you get prerenal azotemia and eventually renal azotemia due to ischemic ATN

1 - 5 of 5 Posts