USMLE Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be getting my graduation degree in Jan 2013
I am very confused regarding step 3 importance & if i should do it. I will have to plan my exams accordingly..

Q1. Does a step3 score help an IMG to get preference over other IMGs in TOP MED SCHOOLS or is it merely for H1b visa.

Q2. If student 'A' has 5 months of USCE but no stp 3, student 'B' has 3 months of USCE & step3
and rest all the filters (research, LOR,CV) is same for both of the students, then who will get a preference?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Step 3 has very little significance to differentiate between candidates specially in the case of top medical schools.

Top medical schools means you have to have high Step 1 and CK scores, and when you have high scores in Step 1 and CK, the program directors won't be worried about you passing Step 3 and therefore it has no significance.

While in the case of low profile residencies, it means you might be considered even if you have low Step 1 and CK scores and in that case the program director migth be worried that you won't pass Step 3 and therefore if you have it, it will be an advantage.

Q2. If student 'A' has 5 months of USCE but no stp 3, student 'B' has 3 months of USCE & step3
and rest all the filters (research, LOR,CV) is same for both of the students, then who will get a preference?
I'd say both of them stands the same chance. The issue here is not that Step 3 is important but it's the two months of USCE difference that's no big deal which leads me to think that both students stands the same chances.

However, let me emphesize that if you need H1B visa then Step 3 is a must.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
visa issue

Thanks Sabio for the information..

In my case I don't want a green card but want to complete my fellow there, & do 2 yrs of job in some good standing hospital and then come back to India.

I got few questions

1. ON which visa do the med schools generally accept students on?.J1 or B1?

2. and I guess the visa is for the period of residency and then if I need to do a fellow then I would apply for extension of visa. (and this stands true for both J1 n B1) CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG HERE.

3. and now after the fellow program if I want to do job in a good standing hospital then i need to do a waiver program in some not so good hospital and then apply to the good ones. am I right?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would be getting my graduation degree in Jan 2013
I am very confused regarding step 3 importance & if i should do it. I will have to plan my exams accordingly..

Q1. Does a step3 score help an IMG to get preference over other IMGs in TOP MED SCHOOLS or is it merely for H1b visa.

Well i am also very much confused about step3 , i have fair step 1 (219) score and good step 2 (229)score . CS first attempt , 1 month observer ship , 1month Extern ship ( teaching hospital , community based ) , cnt risk to screw my CV by getting a low step 3 score , but recently a lot of IMGs , and even residents are talking about step 3, that without step 3 IMGs dnt even get a single interview , :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i am also very much confused about step3 , i have fair step 1 (219) score and good step 2 (229)score . CS first attempt , 1 month observer ship , 1month Extern ship ( teaching hospital , community based ) , cnt risk to screw my CV by getting a low step 3 score , but recently a lot of IMGs , and even residents are talking about step 3, that without step 3 IMGs dnt even get a single interview , :(
Dr.AJCH
like sabio said, & i hv also found out form other people that step 3 has 3 importance.

1.it makes u eligible to apply for h1
2.u cn increase ur interview calls form avg/low strata residency programs.
3.if u hav low score u cn prove urself in step3 nd increase d chances lill bit.

in your case its definitely the 3rd reason dt applies much more than any thing, considering the steep rise in competition and gradual increase of AMGs!!!

BUT UR POINT THAT WITHOUT STEP3 U WONT GET INTERVIEW IS COMPLETELY WRONG. like i said it merely increases the numbr of interview calls by lill number

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dr.AJCH
like sabio said, & i hv also found out form other people that step 3 has 3 importance.

1.it makes u eligible to apply for h1
2.u cn increase ur interview calls form avg/low strata residency programs.
3.if u hav low score u cn prove urself in step3 nd increase d chances lill bit.

in your case its definitely the 3rd reason dt applies much more than any thing, considering the steep rise in competition and gradual increase of AMGs!!!

BUT UR POINT THAT WITHOUT STEP3 U WONT GET INTERVIEW IS COMPLETELY WRONG. like i said it merely increases the numbr of interview calls by lill number
Thanks for the reply , but i brought this issue up here cause i am in U.S these days , and in contact with lots of residents , they say that my scores are competitive , but now trends are changing , almost 65%of IMGs are applying after taking step3 , even ppl with good scores. :notsure: wELL BUT I REALLY DO APPRECIATE THE HELP PROVIDED BY THE FORUM , I followed it in my step1 got 93 , followed it in step2ck got 99 , so i will follow it for guidance in the future also . THANKS USMLE FORUM . :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
disagree,
step 1 (219) score and good step 2 (229)score, is relatively competitive and does not need any compensation.
you made it sound like that Dr.Ajch failed or had scores bellow 200.

facts:
1) A good step 3 score will ALWAYS help you.
2) A passing score of step 3 is essential for an IMG with previously failed step 1 or 2 scores, to prove to the resident committee that they will not be a problem later on.
3) failing step 3 (which is more common than step 1 and 2) will significantly hurt your chances.

so it is all about taking risks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
disagree,
step 1 (219) score and good step 2 (229)score, is relatively competitive and does not need any compensation.
you made it sound like that Dr.Ajch failed or had scores bellow 200.

facts:
1) A good step 3 score will ALWAYS help you.
2) A passing score of step 3 is essential for an IMG with previously failed step 1 or 2 scores, to prove to the resident committee that they will not be a problem later on.
3) failing step 3 (which is more common than step 1 and 2) will significantly hurt your chances.

so it is all about taking risks.
Thank you 99er ,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts