USMLE Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am rather confused about this point here
When is the mother is emancipated and make decisions to treatment of her child?
Kaplan said when the mother is married, is that the only emancipation possible?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
For the purpose of the USMLE exam you have to answer within these two rules:
If the girl is married or living alone she's emancipated.
If the girl is not married nor living alone then she's not emancipated.

Example:
14 years old married girl living with her parents. Answer: emancipated.

Don't confuse yourself with any other complicated legal state-specific statements, they will not ask beyond these two rules.

·
Registered
168 Posts
emancipated minors?

As far as USMLE is considered, is a pregnant minor considered emancipated?? because Kaplan says she is not emancipated...!!

whereas uworld says, parenthood makes a minor emancipated...!!

so which one is true for the purpose of exam only?? or do they really want to imply that pregnancy doesn't make u competent but giving birth does...!!lol:))

·
Registered
229 Posts
As far as USMLE is considered, is a pregnant minor considered emancipated?? because kaplan says she is not emancipated...!!

whereas uworld says, parenthood makes a minor emancipted...!!

so which one is true for the purpose of exam only?? or do they really want to imply that pregnacy doesnt make u competent but giving birth does...!!lol:))
I have noticed same thing in kaplan n uworld, don't know which one to follow in exam.

·
Registered
373 Posts
As far as i recall,simply getting pregnant does not make any emancipated....

For example a girl of 14 yrs living with their parents would not be declared as emancipated...

They have to be economically independent to be emancipated...
eg

A person working & able to support him/herself.
Joined Army
Married

Reactions: aasiaafzal

·
Registered
168 Posts

For example a girl of 14 yrs living with their parents would not be declared as emancipated...

eg

Joined Army
Married
yes i agree with other examples you quoted, but uworld clearly says parenthood makes minor emancipated...logic being that strict parental rules may prevent child taking prenatal n postnatal care,

plus i read online that most states consider pregnant unmarried minor emancipated saying that parents cant force abortion on their child.....i know most states have different rules but as far as exam is concerned, what should be the choice??

ill try to search that question in uworld as well....but whats the view of conrad fischer on this topic?? i havent had the chance to view that book??

·
Registered
168 Posts
ok Conrad fischer says there r 2 categories of emancipation::
  • partial emancipation: usually young arond 15, or a pregnant minor....
they can take their own health care decisions only regarding PRENATAL CARE, STD, CONTRACEPTION,SUBSTANCE ABUSE...these minors cannot make rest of their health care decisions..
  • emancipation: they r usually 16 to 17 yrs old, living alone, finacially stable, married, or parent of a child they r self supporting.
they can make their own decisions in all of the aspects of routine health care.however if its a really serious issue like organ donation or abortion, they may need court document, indicating their legal standing as emancipated.

·
Registered
461 Posts
is preganant minor emancipated?

Hi all:

In FA, a preganant girl under 18 yrs-old is emancipated.
However,
in kaplan, apreganant girl or a minor girl with children is not emancipated.

So, who is right?

Thank you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
i agree

eg

Joined Army
Married
i agree with u completely....this is wt i have found out by searching into it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts