USMLE Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Probability of affected childrens when both parents suffer from Tay Sachs Disease is?
a-25%
b-50%
c-75%
d-100%

Plz Help i'm never able to calculate such question!!:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
something strange Question !

Tay-Sach Dz is AR.
since the couple is Tay-Sach, the result of inheritance will be 100 %. I think, if wrong, correct me and explain.
normal inheritance is 25 %, rite ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yup should be 100%... both parent's genotype must be homozygous recessive thus the only alleles they have to give are mutated.

·
Registered
487 Posts
by calculation... there is 100% chance of having disease...
but guys..do u think that if a child is having tay sachs disease, will grow to adult to hv his own child!!!:eek:
if they r suffering from disease...means having both mutated allele...most probably they cant live for more then 5 yrs???:notsure:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Answer is "D" 100% probability since Taysach is Autosomal recessive ... And both parents are affected.
-If one of the parents is affected & the other is normal, the answer will be zero but all children will be carriers.
-If both are carriers, the answer will be 25%. If one of parent is carrier and the other is affected.
-If one is carrier & other parent is affected, the answer will be 50% risk with teh otehr 50% carrier children.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts