USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Is it a good idea to ask the American consultant I am rounding with to write me a LOR directed to the same program he is rounding at as I am interested in getting a position in that program?
and If yes, can i ask him to write two copies of the LOR, one addressed to the same program and the other addressed ( dear program director ) in general?

Thank You!

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Don't do it

It's not a good idea to ask him to write a letter specific for the same program. That wouldn't look professional from you.

Letters of recommendations should be addressed Dear Program Director ....

When you submit his LoR in ERAS, the program selection committee will see his name at the bottom and they will contact him/her and he will talk about you.

Also, there is good chance that you don't have input into what's he's going to write. He might write it on his own and if that's the case you should not interfere unless there's an error, like misspelled name or wrong dates ...etc

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

but about not interfering with writing, you are saying I shouldn't ask him to comment on my English proficiency or clinical skills? somewhere else in the forums it's said that it's better if the writer comments on my level of English

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
If he wants to write the LoR himself, you should not interfere by any means.

Most attendings will comment about your language proficiency and communications and clinical skills, don't worry he won't miss that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts