USMLE Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
There's limited knowledge when it comes to the function of prolactin and oxytocin in men.

What you need to know for the USMLE is that excess prolactin in men may cause hypogonadism and sexual disturbances which is often discovered (mostly as a prolactinoma) much later than in women. That's because in women, hyperprolactinemia presents early as menstrual disturbances, while in men, libido disturbances will likely not be reported because of embarrassment.

That's why larger prolactinomas are likely to be seen in men (when they've become large enough to cause bitemporal hemianopia).

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just so everyone knows - the answer to the prolactinoma question if it comes up is apparently NOT galactorrhea... I know its the first thing that comes to mind but amenorrhea or infertility (women vs. men respectively) are the symptoms you're looking for.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just so everyone knows - the answer to the prolactinoma question if it comes up is apparently NOT galactorrhea... I know its the first thing that comes to mind but amenorrhea or infertility (women vs. men respectively) are the symptoms you're looking for.
what prolactinoma question? and wouldn't prolactinoma also cause galactorrhea in women?

·
Registered
625 Posts
what prolactinoma question? and wouldn't prolactinoma also cause galactorrhea in women?
Yup - I don't know exactly where in UW I saw this question, but apparently galactorrhea is a later symptom in both men and women - the amenorrhea comes first. I'll look for the question and I'll update if I can find it - we can ignore me until I find the question...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts