USMLE Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am an IMG and I have just passed my CS. I wud like to know how to apply for the PTAL (if of course, I am eligible for it ) - in fact, all necessary details on PTAL. Will be grateful for any uptodate info. Thanx. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Hi Sabio, thanx for the excellent info. Can you tell me whether I am eligible to apply for it being an IMG bcoz I read in some threads that you have to be an H1B or Green card holder to apply for it ? Plz clarify. Thanx :indifferent:
You need to have a social security number before you can apply for California letter.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
No, there's no way without SSN

Does that mean all California residency programs are out of bounds for an IMG (having no green card or SSN) ?
Is there any leeway ?
Plz someone reply, will be grateful :)
There's no way that you get the California letter without a SSN.
Some people have tried to ask the Medical Board of California to contact the social security services and ask them to issue the SSN but these people have failed consistently and even if they succeed in that it will take them months and months and by that time the matching season would have gone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,
I am an IMG and I have just passed my CS. I wud like to know how to apply for the PTAL (if of course, I am eligible for it ) - in fact, all necessary details on PTAL. Will be grateful for any uptodate info. Thanx. :)
It is a big misconception that PTAL is out of bounds for IMGs who do not have a SSN.

I am from California and there are many IMGs who apply and get into residency with PTAL and all.

If you apply without an SSN and you are approved and all requirements are met, you have 1 year to obtain a SSN and send proof of such to the Board. Usually you will be getting a SSN by way of residency and visa sponsorship so within 1 year is very possible.

If you do not then your application is purged or just removed from the system.

SO, IT IS POSSIBLE!!!

Reactions: Sabio
1 - 8 of 8 Posts