USMLE Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody explain,

In response to exercise, why there is no change in PaO2 and PaCO2 but increase in venous CO2 content and decrease in venous O2 content?thanks.

·
Registered
305 Posts

i am not that good at explaining stuff but hope u do undrstand!! (and i hope im right)

arterial PaO2 remains normal as it is the oxygen that is dissolved in the blood...and also because they did not reach the muscle yet!!! PaO2 changes only with altitude and pressure changes nd certain respiratory diseases, left to right shunts... but not in anemia or exercise!!!! (in anemia total oxygen content decreases though cuz total o of rbc are less)

the exercising muscles are hungry for oxygen as they r burning themselves out and extract even more O2.....as a part of metabolic process they release CO2....and remb increased CO2 shifts the oxygen dissociation curve to the right!!!!

if im wrong then plz do correct me :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot smita. Your explanation makes sense, and never doubt yourself. You are very good at explaining too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can anybody explain,

In response to exercise, why there is no change in PaO2 and PaCO2 but increase in venous CO2 content and decrease in venous O2 content?thanks.
Because muscles use O2 and produce CO2

No change in PaO2 and PaCO2

because

tadam

these are ARTERIAL pressures, they didnt get to muscles yet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts