USMLE Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the relationship between Celiac disease and type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.

The explanation mentioned.. that "CELIAC DISEASE MUST BE SCREENED FOR IN ANY PATIENT WHO HAS A NEW DIAGNOSIS OF TYPE 1 DIABETES MELLITUS"

Could anyone explain the relationship or any further info that might be helpful..... I don't really get the correlation nor do I recall about screening pts for celiac disease in a pt with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes mellitus.

It was a Pediatric question by the way.

Thanks

:sorry:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Actually type 1 DM and celiac disease both are autoimmune diseases ... and autoimmune diseases are connected to each other due to formation of autoantibody ...... like type 1 DM , sjogren , addisons ds , rheumatoid arthritis , hypothyroidism etc .... Even in gynae i got a ques pt with autoimmune ds dev premature menopause ... why ? coz its due to autoimmune destruction of follicle .... so any autoimmune ds can occur with other autoimmune ds .....

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a question about the relationship between Celiac disease and type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.

The explanation mentioned.. that "CELIAC DISEASE MUST BE SCREENED FOR IN ANY PATIENT WHO HAS A NEW DIAGNOSIS OF TYPE 1 DIABETES MELLITUS"

Could anyone explain the relationship or any further info that might be helpful..... I don't really get the correlation nor do I recall about screening pts for celiac disease in a pt with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes mellitus.

It was a Pediatric question by the way.

Thanks

:sorry:
Where did this come from? In the US we do not screen all patients with DM type 1 for Celiac disease, yet if there are any symptoms you then screen. Hmm I'm researching this, the prevalence is 4 to 6% with type 1 DM

·
Registered
57 Posts
in fact the most relationship of celiac disease is with below autoimmune diseases:

1. dermatitis herpetiformis (most questions mention this association with celiac)
2. DM type 1
3. thyroid autoimmune diseases
4. selective IgA deficiency

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally found a better answer to my question while i was reading up on something else.

Obviously the autoimmune answer stated by someone above is on the right path.

But I think a better answer would be the association of both diabetes mellitus and celiac diease with HLA DR3.
They are both DR3 related disorderes along with addisons, myasthenia gravis etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts