USMLE Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little more than 30 days before my exam, so I thought I'd try to motivate myself a little bit by asking a question everyday (unless I run out of questions! :eek:), and replying back when I get the right answer. May be we'll all get motivated by this :happy:. The questions may have varying forms, and may not all be MCQs.

Mention an immunological cause, an inherited cause, and a nutritional cause of a state of hypercoagulability.

Here we go!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yes i agree thats a good way to revise your concepts, keep urself motivated

Causes of
hypercoagulability

Immunological cause .....SLE

Inherited causes, Congenital deficiencies of Antithrombin 3, Protein C & S

A nutritional cause, hmm not sure about this one...vitamin k deficiency, Ingestion of cumarins, intake of OCPs/HRT/SERM, Smoking.

By the way.......Best of luck for ur exam....

·
Registered
487 Posts
well i would suggest post/solve as many Qs as possible rather then memorising a list of causes.....as its impossible to remember all causes...and u dont need it while doing Qs...

·
Registered
32 Posts
answer

Yes i agree thats a good way to revise your concepts, keep urself motivated

Causes of
hypercoagulability

Immunological cause .....SLE

Inherited causes, Congenital deficiencies of Antithrombin 3, Protein C & S

A nutritional cause, hmm not sure about this one...vitamin k deficiency, Ingestion of cumarins, intake of OCPs/HRT/SERM, Smoking.

By the way.......Best of luck for ur exam....
IMMUNOLOGICAL--APLA
INHERITED-factor V leiden mutation
NUTRITIONAL-vitamin deficiecies like b6,b12,folic acid leading onto acquired homocysteinemia:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
HyperC... OR thrombophilia has almost 50 causes ranging from traumatic to surgical ..neoplastic..metabolic....but who cares..I mean please make some scenerio type Qs and which should have...bla..bla..bla..BTW..thanks for sharing and wish u goooooooood luck in exam.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, you seem to prefer MCQs. I just liked this question because of the last item, the nutritional cause. I thought it was kinda tricky to get without having a case.

drkaruppiaharun got right, it's homocyteinemia due to deficiency in the mentioned vitamins.

Smoking can lead to hypercoagulability, but it's considered an environmental factor I think.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sorry, you seem to prefer MCQs. I just liked this question because of the last item, the nutritional cause. I thought it was kinda tricky to get without having a case.

drkaruppiaharun got right, it's homocyteinemia due to deficiency in the mentioned vitamins.

Smoking can lead to hypercoagulability, but it's considered an environmental factor I think.
Actually I liked the environmental cause - it's a nice correlation. thanks for posting the question, but if you post the question as an MCQ then I think everyone will be happy :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts