USMLE Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've been studying step 1 for months now. My exam is scheduled on late Jan 2011. You know that Step 1 question pool is updated every year and probably this is why there are no exams scheduled in the first two weeks of every year ( that's when they update the questions ).

Now I am afraid that I've been familiar with the 2010 edition of questions ( when i did the qbanks and NBME assessments ) and that i'll be scoring less as there will be some grand new questions in 2011. is my fear justified ?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Actually they update the questions more often than one year; may be every 6 months. You shouldn't be worried about this point, because a big chunk of those new questions are experimental, and do not count in scoring. Most of the questions will still be familiar. Medicine cannot radically change in a year :).

·
Registered
57 Posts
chill.

actually, not as many are experimental as forums/people would lead you to believe, and i doubt the NBME updates its questions every year. From what i have heard from people who analyze the steps, theres a lot of questions on commonly tested stuff, and this is what most people will see. Even if they update or remove some questions dont worry about it, they have been standardized , and the practise nbmes will give you an idea of what the standard is.....

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi all

I've been studying step 1 for months now. My exam is scheduled on late Jan 2011. You know that Step 1 question pool is updated every year and probably this is why there are no exams scheduled in the first two weeks of every year ( that's when they update the questions ).

Now I am afraid that I've been familiar with the 2010 edition of questions ( when i did the qbanks and NBME assessments ) and that i'll be scoring less as there will be some grand new questions in 2011. is my fear justified ?
Never forget! they always check basic principles and understanding other than memorization. the good news is that the basic principles still remain the same. so no fears at all. understanding the basic principles makes one score really high. that is the most important thing. :):)):)):)):)):))

1 - 5 of 5 Posts