USMLE Forums banner

Reading the question loud!

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kalyan 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a problem
While doing the qbanks now I noticed that I have to read the question stem out loud.
Of course that's not allowed in the real exam
What should I do to stop myself from this habit :eek:

Any prior experiences!
Any help appreciated..

#2 ·
I had the same problem
I was able to get rid of this habit by the "mouse" :D
Yes, the mouse
I move the mouse over the text of the question and read to myself without producing any sound just moving the lips perhaps
That helped me a lot in the exam and I finished the 8 hours without uttering a single word

#3 ·
I sort of had this same problem too. This has severely slowed down my study speed because I have to voice out everything that I read. (besides, it proved disturbing to my fellows in the library).

And what did i do? Started imagining that I am talking, even when I am not. So right now, my voices comes from my head. And voices from head speaks faster than my own mouth.:p

Dont suddenly start forcing yourself away from this habit. Take it step by step, and slowly adapt.

#4 ·
I hope you are able to fix this problem before your exam since it will lead to disqualification, but if your native language is not english, i guess its understanable, hope you do well.

Yes suddenly start forcing yourself to get away from this habit, you dont have time to waste and you do not want to catch yourself doing it during the exam,,and as for the voices in your head...thats weird

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.