USMLE Forums banner

To get a better match for IMG, Which is better research or externship?

• Research

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Externship (USCE)

Votes: 20 71.4%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one is better research or externship to put in your CV to get a better match?

Of course having both of them is great but often there's no time to do both and we have to choose one of them to boost our ERAS application for the next match

Some people say research is the most important distinguishing point in the CV, while other say that a USCE is mandatory for IMGs before being able to match.

What do you think!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I think for IMGs the best thing is to get US clinical experience specially for fresh grads
However, it can be argued that participating in a research project (in USA) can be as well considered as US clinical experience.

Some case examples:
My IMG friend had research back in his home country published in a peer reviewed journal and got a match without doing USCE.
My other IMG friend did USCE and had no research what so ever in his CV and she was also matched easily.

I think it's difficult to say which one is more important.

They both are highly regarded by PDs.

If I have to answer your poll, then I may choose Research

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think for IMGs the best thing is to get US clinical experience specially for fresh grads
However, it can be argued that participating in a research project (in USA) can be as well considered as US clinical experience.

Some case examples:
My IMG friend had research back in his home country published in a peer reviewed journal and got a match without doing USCE.
My other IMG friend did USCE and had no research what so ever in his CV and she was also matched easily.
hello steptaker, can u tell where did they get matched, in which field one with research and other without, any thing more u could add as where do most applicant get match as per research/USCE.
also one thing what do i need to apply for research experience in US?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
hello steptaker ,can u tell where did they get matched, in which field one with research and other without, any thing more u could add as where do most applicant get match as per research /USCE.
also one thing what do i need to apply for research experience in US?
They were both matched in Internal Medicine in a University program.
How to get research?
Look for research opportunities in various universities and research institutes, they have different requirements.
I have no specific link or hospital for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts