USMLE Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello fellow usmle 2014 applicant
my situation is I am an old grad 2001 , recently migrated to USA from Dubai ( green card holder)
my scores:
step 1 202:toosad:
step 2 231
cs pass
all first attempt
1 month observer ship from university hospital
2 US LOR
and LOR from work place but he is American board certified
working as resident in internal medicine at a private hospital in Dubai ( no gaps .. I have always worked )
do you think that sending photo to eras with head viel ( Hijab ) will add red flag to my profile ( which not great )
please advise ?
thank u so much :confused::confused:

·
Registered
157 Posts
It won't be a red flag, there are many Muslim ladies that are doctors in America.

However, some programs are secular, and don't tolerate any form of religious exhibitionism. These programs make up like 1%.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It won't be a red flag, there are many Muslim ladies that are doctors in America.

However, some programs are secular, and don't tolerate any form of religious exhibitionism. These programs make up like 1%.
I dont think wearing a hijab is considered religious exhibitionism. Even secular programs will have doctors from several ethnicities and religions. And if im not mistaken, it is illegal to discriminate applicants based on religious beliefs. Most hospital, espcicially university hospitals, will have an office for equal opportunity (may be called differently depending on the hospital). The one of the many functions of this office is to make sure that qualified applicants with different backgrounds are all given the same chances.

That being said, in truth it is not impossible for you to be discriminated based on your religion, although you are more likely to be discrimated based on you IMG status. My adivce it to look into more "ethically tolerant" state with a diverse population. Also, research programs carefully and try to find out what are the general qualifications and backgrounds of their applicants. That would be your best bet.

Some programs even prefer religious diversity. For example, Brooklyn, NY has a very high population density of muslims. Traditional religious muslim women will not see non-muslim or male OB-Gyns (im generalizing, this is not true for all). Therefore, many residency programs within the area and neighboring areas would like to have a female muslim residents in their programs. I know this for a fact, because i did my roations as a student there and spoke with many of the attendings, including the program director.

Hope this helped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts