USMLE Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am a 40 year old applicant , Is there any age limit for entering programs ?
in which residency program I have more chance .?
i have a history of 10 yrs as anesthesiologist i my home country (8 years of it is as faculty)

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
There's no age limit at all
Your anesthesiology experience will easily lend you a position

What are your scores?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Most program directors will say that we don't accept old grads and specially IMG old grads.
But there are two things in your side
First, Anesthesiology is relatively an IMG friendly specialty
Second, Your experience will count. Don't listen to anybody telling you that overseas experience does not count.

·
Registered
37 Posts
grad>5 yrs for usmle

Most program directors will say that we don't accept old grads and specially IMG old grads.
Second, Your experience will count. Don't listen to anybody telling you that overseas experience does not count.
hi imdoc009, as u said old grad are not accepted by most programs,in my case adding(>5 yrs) no pg experience since grad , it just happens that while searching online i found the usmle option. so do u think i should give up my thought for usmle or i should try for it. guide with the possible programs that i may fit in. i search in the MDPathfinder site which suggested some 100 programs but none mention they accept old grad. So i think better get myself clear than to enter the exam hall with a confused n feared mind. did u ever heard of any old grad without the pg to get a match.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am IMG with Anesthesiology Diploma.I have finished my degree 22 years back,but i did my Anesthesiology diploma in 2001.But i have been practicing in Anesthesilogy since 2001.Can i have the chance of getting residency ,if so i can appear for usmle steps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Isn't age discrimination illegal in the USA?
Are you refering to year of graduation?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Isn't age discrimination illegal in the USA?
Are you refering to year of graduation?
Yes, it is, in fact it can be hard to prove whether it is or not, because they probably will not write clearly "you are too old" there can be found plenty of other reasons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
it is not the age itself, but the year of graduation, which works against your ERAS application during the match season. PDs tend not to look at the applications of very old Grads. If they do - your experience will definitely work for you.
I am 36, YOG 2002, 224\230\CS+ first attempts, PhD, no gaps, cardiology attending in home country, green card - only 3 IV out of 112. :(
But there is, of course, a lot of luck involved :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
if u get decent scores there won't be any problem...and u may also get credit for residency and experience abroad....if u have good scores u ll certainly get a spot...i know many senior consultants who have got residency...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am an IMG, graduated 7 years ago. I am a Green Card holder and i have been preparing fir step 1 for the past 3 years. I still need something close to 6 more months to take Step1. I was wondering how years after graduation affect my residency chances cz recently i have come a cross many talking about the 5 year filter Which's really demotivating. I just need some honest answers please.
Thank you all.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am an IMG, graduated 7 years ago. I am a Green Card holder and i have been preparing fir step 1 for the past 3 years. I still need something close to 6 more months to take Step1. I was wondering how years after graduation affect my residency chances cz recently i have come a cross many talking about the 5 year filter Which's really demotivating. I just need some honest answers please.
Thank you all.
Yes, a vast majority of programs have a 5 year cut off limit for graduation. These are mid to low tier community programs mind you, so it will be even more strict for high tier community or university programs which typically prefer recent graduates or within 2 years of graduation. Sucks, but sadly that's how it is. If you have a decent amount of research or clinical experience during these years since graduation though, with a good profile you will still get calls from programs that do not have cut off for graduation. Its just that they are a lot less.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, a vast majority of programs have a 5 year cut off limit for graduation. These are mid to low tier community programs mind you, so it will be even more strict for high tier community or university programs which typically prefer recent graduates or within 2 years of graduation. Sucks, but sadly that's how it is. If you have a decent amount of research or clinical experience during these years since graduation though, with a good profile you will still get calls from programs that do not have cut off for graduation. Its just that they are a lot less.
Thanks Saxo. Honestly i find such a filter very unfair cz IMGs have to go through too much till they are finally ready to take the board, at least that was my experience, and then to put such a limit is just too much.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks Saxo. Honestly i find such a filter very unfair cz IMGs have to go through too much till they are finally ready to take the board, at least that was my experience, and then to put such a limit is just too much.
Cannot agree more.

·
Registered
685 Posts
You should not be demotivated though. It will be tougher but if you apply smartly with good scores, you have the same chance as everyone else (at programs that do not care about YOG). Research the programs well via FREIDA and see how many such programs are there in the first place. I am sure there will be several that would not place a lot of importance on YOG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i agree and i really do thank you for you motivation. i honestly didnt know YOG may matter at all so i focused on getting the best out of my step 1. i will definetely go to FREIDA and see whats out there. i will definetely go for the tests though cz its too late to quit at this point. i hope yours whether study or residency is going the way you have planned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
so i just surfed through FREIDA, what should i look for there though to have a better idea about whether they care for YOG or not? should i contact them?
thank you.

·
Registered
685 Posts
so i just surfed through FREIDA, what should i look for there though to have a better idea about whether they care for YOG or not? should i contact them?
thank you.
Check the program's websites. Most of the programs will give information and requirements for international medical graduates. If its not mentioned in the program's websites, then you can contact them. But if you are giving the exam anyways, don't waste your time on this as there are 400 odd programs for internal medicine. Just look at a few programs and requirements to get the idea and focus on your exams! Good luck.:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts