USMLE Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i am a final year student, i am completely new to this USMLE world, please tell me as to what is the role of doing research in getting residency match, is doing research mandatory or i can get residency match even i have not done any research work ?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Few points about research

Welcome to USMLE Forums dear lovelyb,

Research is not mandatory for you to get matched into residency programs but it's certainly a plus to your profile that can help you match into higher profile University programs.

Harvard for example, did not take any resident last year unlesss he/she has significant research experience.

On the other hand, low-profile non-competitive community programs may not on the lookout and they will match you even if you don't have research experience.

Research experience can vary from academic to clinical to lab based. They are all good but specifically the clinical research is very useful when you apply for the residency.

Your position can be just a research assistant up to the principal investigator, the higher your role in research project the more it's appreciated.

If the research is already published then your name would better be listed in the authors and the higher it is in the list the more prestigious for you. Like if your name was mentioned as the first author then definitely that will impress the program directors.

Research closely related to the specialty you are applying for is of course more appreciated. Like they don't like it if you are applying for surgery yet you have a research in dermatology for example.

You can read more about research and matching by following this link http://www.usmle-forums.com/tags/Research.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts