USMLE Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am disappointed. I am IMG (India) graduated in March 2014. I got score of 201. Is it pointless in continuing usmle? I am confused. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
201 is passing so that will be your step 1 score. Should you continue? I think you should. You should aim to get a really high step 2 ck and pass CS on your first attempt. After that, make your CV look really good by doing research or shadow so your LORs are good. Good luck.

Reactions: canadaimg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
201 is passing so that will be your step 1 score. Should you continue? I think you should. You should aim to get a really high step 2 ck and pass CS on your first attempt. After that, make your CV look really good by doing research or shadow so your LORs are good. Good luck.
Thank You for your response. I don't understand where i went wrong. I went through pathoma, kaplan (first 2-3 months), first aid and the qbanks many times. I was tensed during the exam and was exhausted within 3 - 4 rounds.

is it worth joining any prep programs. I did the kaplan videos, etc. i know the material wellbut the moment i get question material i go blank. I am always misinterpreting the question or missing key points.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thank You for your response. I don't understand where i went wrong. I went through pathoma, kaplan (first 2-3 months), first aid and the qbanks many times. I was tensed during the exam and was exhausted within 3 - 4 rounds.

is it worth joining any prep programs. I did the kaplan videos, etc. i know the material wellbut the moment i get question material i go blank. I am always misinterpreting the question or missing key points.
I think you should had gone for some NBME(s) before the exam to judge whether you are getting what you want,apart from that I think you should continue and make a 240/250+ on cs and pass ck on the first go...dont give up...dont give up

We fall only to stand back prove that in your cs :cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
did u give self assisment examinations like uwsa,nbmes and kaplam sim test before appearing in the real usmle step1?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you should had gone for some NBME(s) before the exam to judge whether you are getting what you want,apart from that I think you should continue and make a 240/250+ on cs and pass ck on the first go...dont give up...dont give up

We fall only to stand back prove that in your cs :cool:
I went for NBMEs but I was always getting around 215 - 225. They exam is different than the nbmes. I feel the nbmes were much easier than the real exam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did u give self assisment examinations like uwsa,nbmes and kaplam sim test before appearing in the real usmle step1?
Yes I gave. The thing is I have spent more than 6 months. Even after extending the exam after 3 months of eligibility I did not see any improment I was consistent at around 215 - 225. So I went ahead with giving exam hoping for the best. I felt that even if I did not take exam and applied again to ecfmg I would still get similar score.

Any hope in getting good CV ie research as I am Canadian citizen? will experience in canadian hospitals help?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes I gave. The thing is I have spent more than 6 months. Even after extending the exam after 3 months of eligibility I did not see any improment I was consistent at around 215 - 225. So I went ahead with giving exam hoping for the best. I felt that even if I did not take exam and applied again to ecfmg I would still get similar score.

Any hope in getting good CV ie research as I am Canadian citizen? will experience in canadian hospitals help?
How many months did you prepare for? Did you have a consistent study plan?
Don't give up. Maybe you should expand your cv with US clinical experience, research and good LOR's. All the very best.

·
Registered
53 Posts

seems like u tried ur best, canadian clinical experience can help u but ofcourse u cant compare it with USCE, and since u have scored very low in step1(though have score very well in step2ck) u need usce and not canadian clinical experience
dont lose hope, now focus all of ur attention towards passing Step2cs in first attempt, forget abt how and when will u get residency, stop urself from getting worried worryiny,tense and depress.
believe in urself and ur hardwork!

another thing, u shouldnt have appeared in step1 sinces u were not scoring 240+ in nbme, if ur scores were not improving then u should have given attention towards ur weak areas which are shown at the end pf nbme in a form of performance grid!
Never mind!
and on more thing!
when giving step2cs, take 40mg proponolol, it will help u keep calm! theres no way u getting tense if u take those!
:)
best of luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts