USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. so i got my score few weeks back but never got a chance to write back my experience as i was too busy doing nothing and relaxing after this tiring exam :p
i write this post for the so called 'underlings' and the 'backbenchers'.
INTRO about myself: i am an img, a slow learner with avergae intelligence and memory. nothing too special :)
Time: 1 year. it sounds like too much i know but for underlings like who never even knew what a mast cell is, this was much needed. i didnt want to rush and you shouldn't either because you get one chance. just one and if you screw up here you screw up big time so prepare well . take your time.
Books: i used way too many books which was a bad idea i think. all books are written differently and we all learn by different ways. some are visual learners and some need mnemonics and some need tables and charts etc. the main thing is you should pick a book not just because its popular but only if it suits your taste and you like reading it.
1.Anatomy: i studied kaplan and HY anatomy . unfortunately it wasn't enough for exam and i had a lot of weird questions from this subject.
2.physiology: i used kaplan notes and BRS. since my basic knowledge was weak i found both of these truly useful in their own unique ways and did pretty well on the exam :)
3.Biochemistry and genetics etc: i studied kaplan notes and it was very good. unfortunately i had only about 6 questions from this :mad:
3.Pathology: i studied Goljan and it was brilliant... brilliant .... brilliant. i cant stress this enough you MUST do it if your basic knowledge is zero you can not skip this one. my big Salute to Poppie :)
4.Microbiology and Immunology: well i used kaplan notes for both of these and the book is huge with a lot of info .i really had a tough time retaining all that information. but there are few pages in the end of this book that has some diseases, cases and charts that were of a big help.
5.Pharmacology: used Kaplan notes and some kaplan flashcards :) good stuff
6.Behavioural science: Kaplan notes are more than enough i think. Stats was a bit crazy but i think i did OKAY on this one. i also read Appleton review of stats. good book
7. FA + UW: undoubtedly the best sources for step 1 . i think i read FA about 6 times :eek: and UW 2 times .
8.DIT: this was very good on some topics. but never saw a single question on the extra info it had.
NBMEs: 13=246 15=238 16=245 FRED=90%
Exam day: i was very calm and controlled untill about 3rd block when i started getting tired and the time seemed short. a girl started typing madly and a guy started coughing so badly. all these distractions were really screwing up my thinking process. so you guys should be prepared that you won't have absolutely pin drop silence . these things happen but you should try to stay calm. The questions style was most similar to but harder than uworld and nbme 16 with a lot of twists and way too lengthy + loads of pics. there were WTF questions that i never read about in these book or UW so i just guessed there and moved on.
So as you must have noticed i did better on the real deal than nbmes and the answer to that is ' I dont know' may be its bcoz i took a few days rest before the exam so i was alert and not yawing like when i used to while doing nbme forms. also i never took a single break during these nbmes so that used to make my thinking clouded in the last block or so. and ofcourse may be i just got lucky :plz: so Thank you GOD :)
apologies for any typos or grammar mistakes you find as i am typing this post real quick. hit me up with questions if you have any i will be more than happy to help.
also if u know someone who is preparing for CK please let me know i dont want to study alone by myself this time :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Congrtas

Congrats,,,,for marvelous score
So can you please elaborate as
how many times u revised Kaplan and other books,
How long you approx took to finish u world 1 st time & what's was ur approx % score 1st time.?
How many months before your exam,you started u world n FA?
How long it's takes to finish FA 1st time?( for me it's taking like ages:(.
When did you give ur 1st Nbme ?

I am sorry for asking too many questions, but really would like to gain from your great a d successful exp of step 1
Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats,,,,for marvelous score
So can you please elaborate as
how many times u revised Kaplan and other books,
How long you approx took to finish u world 1 st time & what's was ur approx % score 1st time.?
How many months before your exam,you started u world n FA?
How long it's takes to finish FA 1st time?( for me it's taking like ages:(.
When did you give ur 1st Nbme ?

I am sorry for asking too many questions, but really would like to gain from your great a d successful exp of step 1
Thanks
i didnt revise any of the kaplan or other books except physiology , biochemistry and the statistics chapter. but i always kept them side by side if i needed to look up something quickly
i took about 50 days for first pass of UW . i think % was around 75 to 80%
i started fa about 6 months before exam and uw 4months before exam.
first read of fa took me ages too as i was reading other books as well and also i am a slow learner
my first nbme was when i finished first read of fa before starting UW but i would suggest you to finish UW at least once before doing any nbme
Do NOT worry about the time. Do not walk into the exam unprepared. for IMGs score of steps is a big deal so do not compromise on it
goodluck :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for prompt reply and solving my all queries so patiently,
Your post indeed is too helpful.
so what I understood is ur basic revising material for FA and Uworld,.... Did you annotate UWorld in ur FA ? Or revising both of these sources is good enough.. M asking this because I have read some posts where people say they took too long to finish UWolrd coz there was so much to write from it in FA
Thanks again and good luck for ur next steps:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for prompt reply and solving my all queries so patiently,
Your post indeed is too helpful.
so what I understood is ur basic revising material for FA and Uworld,.... Did you annotate UWorld in ur FA ? Or revising both of these sources is good enough.. M asking this because I have read some posts where people say they took too long to finish UWolrd coz there was so much to write from it in FA
Thanks again and good luck for ur next steps:)
yes i did annotate FA from uw. there is so much to write down in FA but you dont have to write down all things. for example some stuff you know is written in kaplan or goljan so no need to note down. i would even take out important pages from different books and attach them in FA to fill up any gaps. its really a big pain but its worth it in the end.
thanks for the good wishes. goodluck :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
congrats on great score.Im doing both kaplan and brs for physio,should i annotate firstaid or leave space for uworld questions?next I'm planning to read kaplan anat,hy neuro,hy gross anat(only for abd & pelvis) is it sufficient for anat?Is kaplan enough for embryo & histo?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
congrats on great score.Im doing both kaplan and brs for physio,should i annotate firstaid or leave space for uworld questions?next I'm planning to read kaplan anat,hy neuro,hy gross anat(only for abd & pelvis) is it sufficient for anat?Is kaplan enough for embryo & histo?
Leave all the space for uworld . Unforunately the way anatomy is being tested none of these books can save u but then again may b i just got unlucky on exam so u shouldnt b focusing too much on this subject, learn as much as u can and leave the rest to fate.
For embryo nd histo even just fa and uw are enough :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi

hey guys. so i got my score few weeks back but never got a chance to write back my experience as i was too busy doing nothing and relaxing after this tiring exam :p
i write this post for the so called 'underlings' and the 'backbenchers'.
INTRO about myself: i am an img, a slow learner with avergae intelligence and memory. nothing too special :)
Time: 1 year. it sounds like too much i know but for underlings like who never even knew what a mast cell is, this was much needed. i didnt want to rush and you shouldn't either because you get one chance. just one and if you screw up here you screw up big time so prepare well . take your time.
Books: i used way too many books which was a bad idea i think. all books are written differently and we all learn by different ways. some are visual learners and some need mnemonics and some need tables and charts etc. the main thing is you should pick a book not just because its popular but only if it suits your taste and you like reading it.
1.Anatomy: i studied kaplan and HY anatomy . unfortunately it wasn't enough for exam and i had a lot of weird questions from this subject.
2.physiology: i used kaplan notes and BRS. since my basic knowledge was weak i found both of these truly useful in their own unique ways and did pretty well on the exam :)
3.Biochemistry and genetics etc: i studied kaplan notes and it was very good. unfortunately i had only about 6 questions from this :mad:
3.Pathology: i studied Goljan and it was brilliant... brilliant .... brilliant. i cant stress this enough you MUST do it if your basic knowledge is zero you can not skip this one. my big Salute to Poppie :)
4.Microbiology and Immunology: well i used kaplan notes for both of these and the book is huge with a lot of info .i really had a tough time retaining all that information. but there are few pages in the end of this book that has some diseases, cases and charts that were of a big help.
5.Pharmacology: used Kaplan notes and some kaplan flashcards :) good stuff
6.Behavioural science: Kaplan notes are more than enough i think. Stats was a bit crazy but i think i did OKAY on this one. i also read Appleton review of stats. good book
7. FA + UW: undoubtedly the best sources for step 1 . i think i read FA about 6 times :eek: and UW 2 times .
8.DIT: this was very good on some topics. but never saw a single question on the extra info it had.
NBMEs: 13=246 15=238 16=245 FRED=90%
Exam day: i was very calm and controlled untill about 3rd block when i started getting tired and the time seemed short. a girl started typing madly and a guy started coughing so badly. all these distractions were really screwing up my thinking process. so you guys should be prepared that you won't have absolutely pin drop silence . these things happen but you should try to stay calm. The questions style was most similar to but harder than uworld and nbme 16 with a lot of twists and way too lengthy + loads of pics. there were WTF questions that i never read about in these book or UW so i just guessed there and moved on.
So as you must have noticed i did better on the real deal than nbmes and the answer to that is ' I dont know' may be its bcoz i took a few days rest before the exam so i was alert and not yawing like when i used to while doing nbme forms. also i never took a single break during these nbmes so that used to make my thinking clouded in the last block or so. and ofcourse may be i just got lucky :plz: so Thank you GOD :)
apologies for any typos or grammar mistakes you find as i am typing this post real quick. hit me up with questions if you have any i will be more than happy to help.
also if u know someone who is preparing for CK please let me know i dont want to study alone by myself this time :)
Hi
Firstly would like to congratualte on your awesome score...
I am IMG aiming for high score. I have around 50 days for exam and done with kaplan second read, goljan second read, uw first read FA fiirst read.. Do u think i will be able to appear on target date? When do u recommend me to start delf assesment exam??

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi
Firstly would like to congratualte on your awesome score...
I am IMG aiming for high score. I have around 50 days for exam and done with kaplan second read, goljan second read, uw first read FA fiirst read.. Do u think i will be able to appear on target date? When do u recommend me to start delf assesment exam??
you will be ready before ur target time . Andsince u have done uw once the right time is now to start seeing where u r and gauge ur progress accordingly.
Goodluck:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi

you will be ready before ur target time . Andsince u have done uw once the right time is now to start seeing where u r and gauge ur progress accordingly.
Goodluck:)
Hi
Thank you for your kind words.
Alot of people were telling me i wont be able to complete it by that time so i bot scared.
Thank u so much

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi
Thank you for your kind words.
Alot of people were telling me i wont be able to complete it by that time so i bot scared.
Thank u so much
ok let me tell you something dear friend. in this world and today's time alot of people wont be honest with you , alot of people do not want to see others succeed a lot of people keep pushing others down , man.... a lot of people will tell u alot of things. you listen to ur own heart and if u really want it just go for it giving your 100% . cheers

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats for your score Doctor.
Does DIT help boost-up my score if i do it to revise FA 1 month before exam? Thank you
DIT 1 mnth before exam is not a good idea. u would probably get bored hearing the stuff that u already know by now. but it has some extra info which i wasnt tested on but someone else might. but still i dont think now is the time for that. you can do more questions or if you really want DIT you can do some selected portions that you find yourself weak at.

·
Registered
26 Posts
congras

hey! Congras and thanks for sharing ur experience. I am unable to find Appleton review of Biostatistics online. Kindly email me the pdf if you have it. Thanks
Also anymore details with regard to pictures showing up on exam. You did tell me a lot of micro images. What else?
Thanks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
DIT 1 mnth before exam is not a good idea. u would probably get bored hearing the stuff that u already know by now. but it has some extra info which i wasnt tested on but someone else might. but still i dont think now is the time for that. you can do more questions or if you really want DIT you can do some selected portions that you find yourself weak at.
Hi congratulations. So when did you use the DIT course? Beginning of your prep? :confused:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi congratulations. So when did you use the DIT course? Beginning of your prep? :confused:
No i wish i had done that. I used it near the end of my preparation and i found it helful for memorizing some things that i wud have never ben able to remember otherwise. And also when we are appraching the end of our studies we tend to overlook the more 'general' highyield stuff that we find easy but it also needs revision so dit also helps in revision of those things that one would not look back again in last few weeks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey! Congras and thanks for sharing ur experience. I am unable to find Appleton review of Biostatistics online. Kindly email me the pdf if you have it. Thanks
Also anymore details with regard to pictures showing up on exam. You did tell me a lot of micro images. What else?
Thanks.
There was absolutely no area where pics werent included. Patho micro neuro anatomy all major areas were full of pics.
Apleton and lange review is more of an overkill in my opinion so dont worry abt it. And i dont hav the pdf currently but i will look it up if u still want it

·
Registered
26 Posts
You are absolutely right. I intended to watch these video at the end of prep (i still have more than 3 months) and annotate it on FA but you changed my mind. I start using it with first aid and Uworld now. Thank you

ps: DIT actually gives big pictures that help us memorize some hard to handle stuffs but if we don't go through Kaplan first-DIT is useless.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts