USMLE Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The attached graph shows three different cut off points for a screening test.

I can't seem to understand why C is the best accuracy point? Shouldn't it be D!

Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry

click to enlarge

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know its in kaplan

its explained well in the Kaplan lecture notes dear friend... turn a few pages back from the page u v attached :p :p
I read it back and forth I cant get it, there is just a formula there not the relation with graph, even the lecture, it is just mentioned in there and not explained.
I don't understand why it is not D?????????????????????.

If its so easy for you can you please explain it.:sorry:

and why is it C???
where you have equal number of both patients?

may be its too easy for you. not for me. :toosad:

I don't

·
Registered
122 Posts
I read it back and forth I cant get it, there is just a formula there not the relation with graph, even the lecture, it is just mentioned in there and not explained.
I don't understand why it is not D?????????????????????.

If its so easy for you can you please explain it.:sorry:

and why is it C???
where you have equal number of both patients?

may be its too easy for you. not for me. :toosad:

I don't
Simply the reasson is this ... As you see the normal cut off point between the dis & non-dis people is "C". So, if we simply move the cut off point to any zone forward (towards D) or backwards (towards B), it may cause the results "overall regarding the sensitivity & specificity both" to be less accurate.
Indeed, for this reason too, the point "C" is the area where you can say this test has "high" specificity & sensitivity both. And if we move to D or B, the result will cause increase & decrease in specificity or sensitivity at the same time. At this point "high sensitivity & low specificity" or vice versa.
I hope I made things clear :D:D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simply the reasson is this ... As you see the normal cut off point between the dis & non-dis people is "C". So, if we simply move the cut off point to any zone forward (towards D) or backwards (towards B), it may cause the results "overall regarding the sensitivity & specificity both" to be less accurate.
Indeed, for this reason too, the point "C" is the area where you can say this test has "high" specificity & sensitivity both. And if we move to D or B, the result will cause increase & decrease in specificity or sensitivity at the same time. At this point "high sensitivity & low specificity" or vice versa.
I hope I made things clear :D:D
you did thanks,
i dint know we have t consider both sensi and specifici to decide the point of accuracy.:(
i thought more probability of getting right test and more accurate screening.:confused:
although i have remember it know.:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts