USMLE Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody,
i graduated this year and i heard that getting an elective after graduation is hard, is that true?
if yes, can anyone help with any options that might be available instead?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Guide to Externships and Observerships in USMLE Forums

Doing electives after graduation is certainly one of the most important aspects to get you into a residency match.

Electives can be divided into two types
Observership
Externship

To know the difference between these two read here:
http://www.usmle-forums.com/recomme...s/108-externship-observership-difference.html

Also these two links can help you get acquainted with the issue
List of threads tagged with Externship
List of threads tagged with Observership

We also have a poll in which users are voting for the best commercial paid externship services. Here's the link
http://www.usmle-forums.com/residency-match-recommended-threads/1420-paid-externships-imgs.html

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hands on training after graduation

hi everybody,
i graduated this year and i heard that getting an elective after graduation is hard, is that true?
if yes, can anyone help with any options that might be available instead?
Getting electives on your own after graduation is very difficult, in some cases it will be near impossible. You need proper insurance coverage that is specific for International Medical Graduates, not students. Our organization offers medical liability insured HANDS ON clinical rotations or IMG's in multiple locations across the US. Which specialty are you interested in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im intrested in general surgery, and getting and elective in surgery departments is really hard so any chances or options
thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
externship for old grad

Getting electives on your own after graduation is very difficult, in some cases it will be near impossible. You need proper insurance coverage that is specific for International Medical Graduates, not students. Our organization offers medical liability insured HANDS ON clinical rotations or IMG's in multiple locations across the US. Which specialty are you interested in?
hello there,i m an old grad n preparing for step 1.if i m looking for surgery field in what way u could help me find externship and how much will it help me increase my chances to get into surgery.when do i need to enroll myself in ur program,n whats the duration ,is it flexible in a way to target externship in the field i m interested in?any more info will help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello how are you? I am more than happy to help answer your questions. Obtaining applicable experience and earning letters of recommendation in the US would be 2 important steps to your residency application. I would also suggest if you have the ability to participate in field applicable research. There are many programs that feel this will help an applicant.

This specialty is also very "USMLE and grad date" driven, which means that they tend to not consider an applicant with any failing attempts (this is not in all cases, I have worked with those with fails that have gotten into surgery, I would say the general criteria is no fails) or a veteran graduation date (5 years typically the latest they will consider an applicant depending on the program, some will not look at an applicant with more than 2 years it will depend. This is not for all programs though. I worked with someone last year who graduated in 1994 who matched in surgery).

I hope that this helps guide you a little. Regarding when you need to begin enrollment, please private message me here so I can check into your plan with a little more detail

Molly

hello there,i m an old grad n preparing for step 1.if i m looking for surgery field in what way u could help me find externship and how much will it help me increase my chances to get into surgery.when do i need to enroll myself in ur program,n whats the duration ,is it flexible in a way to target externship in the field i m interested in?any more info will help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts