USMLE Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly I didn't feel much after the exam, I was just relieved that it was finally over because I have been studying step 1 for a really long time.

I took my exam in the prometric center in Malaysia and I was the only one taking USMLE step 1 on that day.

My appointment was at 10am, but I arrived earlier and found out where my locker was. After that, they actually let me start early, so I begin the tutorial at around 9.30am. I skipped eveything on the tutorial except for the one where I can check if the headphones were working.

I was given 2 whiteboards and I wrote down the numbers 1-7 on the corner of one of the whiteboards. Before I started doing each block I cross out the number of the block (eg 1,2,3) on the whiteboard to avoid being confused regarding the number of blocks I still had.

When I started the first block, the first few questions were tough and I was kinda scared and nervous for a few moments. I marked them and then I moved on. The other questions on the 1st block weren't difficult and I gained momentum and the nervousness went away.

After the first block, I came out and went through the security check and then I went to the toilet. The security check took some time, they require your finger print, you signature and they will scan you with metal detector to make sure you didn't bring anything funny.

I actually came out after every block to use the toilet and to grab some snacks.

I didn't experience any fatigue, but when I was half way into the 4th block, I started hearing noises of people typing, I got distracted and I was quite pissed. I tried to put on the ear plugs and it got a little better. Later on, after my exam, I talked to the people who were working there and I found out that some exams require typing. I was not very happy with this experience.

On the exam I had 2 ecg, 2 heart sounds, some microscopic images, an abdominal CT, a question regarding absolute risk reduction, 2 questions on urinary incontinence and some pelvic anatomy.

I marked around 7-8 questions in each block and I had about 10-11 minutes left for me to go back to those marked questions. After checking on them I will have 3-4 minutes left and I would click on the break button and those 3-4 minutes would go to my break time.

For my exam, I brought bananas, granola bars & rice with chicken. For the first 3 breaks, I ate bananas. For the 4th break, I ate granola bars. For the 5th and 6th breaks I ate rice with chicken (my mum cooked for me on the previous night :D thanks mum!)

And that was my experience on the day of my step 1 exam. I'm expecting my result in 2 days, wish me luck! :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Honestly I didn't feel much after the exam, I was just relieved that it was finally over because I have been studying step 1 for a really long time.

I took my exam in the prometric center in Malaysia and I was the only one taking USMLE step 1 on that day.

My appointment was at 10am, but I arrived earlier and found out where my locker was. After that, they actually let me start early, so I begin the tutorial at around 9.30am. I skipped eveything on the tutorial except for the one where I can check if the headphones were working.

I was given 2 whiteboards and I wrote down the numbers 1-7 on the corner of one of the whiteboards. Before I started doing each block I cross out the number of the block (eg 1,2,3) on the whiteboard to avoid being confused regarding the number of blocks I still had.

When I started the first block, the first few questions were tough and I was kinda scared and nervous for a few moments. I marked them and then I moved on. The other questions on the 1st block weren't difficult and I gained momentum and the nervousness went away.

After the first block, I came out and went through the security check and then I went to the toilet. The security check took some time, they require your finger print, you signature and they will scan you with metal detector to make sure you didn't bring anything funny.

I actually came out after every block to use the toilet and to grab some snacks.

I didn't experience any fatigue, but when I was half way into the 4th block, I started hearing noises of people typing, I got distracted and I was quite pissed. I tried to put on the ear plugs and it got a little better. Later on, after my exam, I talked to the people who were working there and I found out that some exams require typing. I was not very happy with this experience.

On the exam I had 2 ecg, 2 heart sounds, some microscopic images, an abdominal CT, a question regarding absolute risk reduction, 2 questions on urinary incontinence and some pelvic anatomy.

I marked around 7-8 questions in each block and I had about 10-11 minutes left for me to go back to those marked questions. After checking on them I will have 3-4 minutes left and I would click on the break button and those 3-4 minutes would go to my break time.

For my exam, I brought bananas, granola bars & rice with chicken. For the first 3 breaks, I ate bananas. For the 4th break, I ate granola bars. For the 5th and 6th breaks I ate rice with chicken (my mum cooked for me on the previous night :D thanks mum!)

And that was my experience on the day of my step 1 exam. I'm expecting my result in 2 days, wish me luck! :D
Nice! Thanks!
Best of Luck my friend!
My best wishes to everyone !!!

and what kind of questions did u find most challenging?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nice! Thanks!
Best of Luck my friend!
My best wishes to everyone !!!

and what kind of questions did u find most challenging?
-Microbes questions weren't too hard if you memorize them well.

-Pharmacology questions are pretty straight forward except for a few questions which were more difficult.

-The subject I find to be the hardest was gross anatomy.

-Biochemistry wasn't too hard either, the ones on Uworld were harder.

-Behavioral science is a little tricky.

-Most of the questions were really long, some even longer than those on Uworld, definitely ntg like NBME!

-Questions that require pure memorization like oncogenes, tumor suppressor gene and translocation eg 9;22, 14;18, 11;14 were minimal.

-the ecgs were simple (MI and hyperkalemia), the heart sounds weren't too hard (you could probably derive the answer from the question stem itself)

-Again, The subject I find the hardest would be gross anatomy. They could ask you anything!

-I even got a question on strabismus.... Which I never even read it from anywhere (not in FA and not in Uworld or kaplan qbank @@)

·
Registered
76 Posts
-Microbes questions weren't too hard if you memorize them well.

-Pharmacology questions are pretty straight forward except for a few questions which were more difficult.

-The subject I find to be the hardest was gross anatomy.

-Biochemistry wasn't too hard either, the ones on Uworld were harder.

-Behavioral science is a little tricky.

-Most of the questions were really long, some even longer than those on Uworld, definitely ntg like NBME!

-Questions that require pure memorization like oncogenes, tumor suppressor gene and translocation eg 9;22, 14;18, 11;14 were minimal.

-the ecgs were simple (MI and hyperkalemia), the heart sounds weren't too hard (you could probably derive the answer from the question stem itself)

-Again, The subject I find the hardest would be gross anatomy. They could ask you anything!

-I even got a question on strabismus.... Which I never even read it from anywhere (not in FA and not in Uworld or kaplan qbank @@)
Looking back, what would you add/change in your preparation/schedule?

I think that reading gross anatomy won't help.
I will and I am able to recall anatomy from FA, but definitely not from Moore )) I was thinking about reading blue notes from Moore Anatomy- clinical situations, or is it time-consuming too? But again, i think I'll depend on FA and UW anatomy questions. What would you advise? :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Looking back, what would you add/change in your preparation/schedule?

I think that reading gross anatomy won't help.
I will and I am able to recall anatomy from FA, but definitely not from Moore )) I was thinking about reading blue notes from Moore Anatomy- clinical situations, or is it time-consuming too? But again, i think I'll depend on FA and UW anatomy questions. What would you advise? :)
FA + anatomy questions on Uworld is a good combination. I listened to the Kaplan videos on gross anatomy and I also read the lecture notes but there's simply too much information.

Looking back, I would definitely add Anki early into my preparation for step 1. I discovered anki about 3 months before I took step 1. I think that it is really helpful and I was able to retain a lot of information using it.

When I was doing kaplan qbank, I annonated into my First Aid. But when I started doing USMLE world, I realized a better way was to put them (the explanation from Uworld) into anki as they would appear every day in the beginning and every once in a while after you are familiar with that particular piece of information.

In short, I highly recommend using anki for step 1 preparation. IMO, it helps a lot!

·
Registered
76 Posts
FA + anatomy questions on Uworld is a good combination. I listened to the Kaplan videos on gross anatomy and I also read the lecture notes but there's simply too much information.

Looking back, I would definitely add Anki early into my preparation for step 1. I discovered anki about 3 months before I took step 1. I think that it is really helpful and I was able to retain a lot of information using it.

When I was doing kaplan qbank, I annonated into my First Aid. But when I started doing USMLE world, I realized a better way was to put them (the explanation from Uworld) into anki as they would appear every day in the beginning and every once in a while after you are familiar with that particular piece of information.

In short, I highly recommend using anki for step 1 preparation. IMO, it helps a lot!
I've read and watched Kaplan too :)
Hope for the best!

Thank you for those recommendations !

Share your amazing score with us !
and celebrate! Happy-2

·
Registered
20 Posts
I, too, took the exam on Aug 18 from Nepal.

My 1st block was little tough but after that block it gradually became relatively easy.
Not so tiring, as I took break after every block and still had 14 min left in the end.

Need to stay calm and cool till Wednesday.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I, too, took the exam on Aug 18 from Nepal.

My 1st block was little tough but after that block it gradually became relatively easy.
Not so tiring, as I took break after every block and still had 14 min left in the end.

Need to stay calm and cool till Wednesday.
I feel you brah! haha. Just hoping for the best :)) I hope my results won't be delayed, it's killing me!

Good luck to you!Happy-2

1 - 20 of 52 Posts