USMLE Forums banner

Several Failed Attempts, Should he continue?

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  mahmud 
#1 ·
Hi,
I need a advice badly for my friend. He is an IMG working in a psychiatry hospital for 10 years as supervisory director and had his green card through the job.
He is trying hard to pass step 1 but he had few failed attempts but still trying. Please advice on this situation whether he should continue or drop it. coz what i believe even if he passes he will not get high score.
Please give some suggestions.

#2 ·
Can get residency in the same hospital

I can figure that your colleague has very strong connection in the hospital where he's working. This allows for a great chance that they can take him as a resident once he pass the USMLE.

So I suggest that he continues his efforts until he passes and even with very low scores he can still make it into their residency program (if they have one) or in some other hospitals closely affiliated with his place of work.

Connections can skip all crendentials and can be very effective and getting interviews and even pre match.

Other than this path, I think that his chances in getting residency at other places are very low.

#3 ·
I can figure that your colleague has very strong connection in the hospital where he's working. This allows for a great chance that they can take him as a resident once he pass the USMLE.

So I suggest that he continues his efforts until he passes and even with very low scores he can still make it into their residency program (if they have one) or in some other hospitals closely affiliated with his place of work.

Connections can skip all crendentials and can be very effective and getting interviews and even pre match.

Other than this path, I think that his chances in getting residency at other places are very low.
Thanks a lot for your advice. It meant a lot coz my friend was very depressed and confused.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.