USMLE Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My profile is as follows:

1. Graduated 2006 (IMG from India)
2. Rushed my exams with low scores -84 in Step 1 (May 2010), 1st pass in Step 2 CS (June 2010), 78 in Step 2 CK (November 2010)
3. Green card holder
4. Have three LoRs from US doctors
5. 6 months clinical research experience (pediatrics) in the US
6. One publication
7. Former MPH student in preventive medicine (incomplete)
8. Interested in Internal medicine (Ist choice) or Pediatrics residency.
9. Applied late to ERAS in November after my step 2CK
10. Did only one interview with a community hospital pediatrics program. (Interview went well even though i had no MSPE which they later requested for and was provided eventually).

I'm thinking of returning to school to complete my MPH before applying for 2012 residency with the hope of getting into an internal medicine program (preferably University-based). I don't know if i would be ranked in 2011 or succeed with scramble or whether my chances will be better in 2012.

Should i withdraw from the 2011 match or can i switch to internal medicine after starting pediatrics?

· Registered
3,273 Posts
Here's what I think

Switching from peds to IM is extremely difficult. I'd say if you hate pediatrics then you should withdraw from the match as you don't want to ruin the rest of your life, but am quite surprised that you hate pediatrics because you've already did research in it!

Finishing your MPH will certainly increase your chances in the future specially among research oriented programs (specially those university programs).

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Switching from peds to IM is extremely difficult. I'd say if you hate pediatrics then you should withdraw from the match as you don't want to ruin the rest of your life, but am quite surprised that you hate pediatrics because you've already did research in it!

Finishing your MPH will certainly increase your chances in the future specially among research oriented programs (specially those university programs).
Thanks, i'm also considering withdrawing from the match and scramble for IM.

Do you think my current profile can fetch me a good IM program in 2011 or should i just forget 2011 and complete my MPH?

Also, do you think an MPH degree in preventive medicine will boost my chances of fellowship after IM residency?

· Registered
3,273 Posts
Do you think my current profile can fetch me a good IM program in 2011 or should i just forget 2011 and complete my MPH?
You can try in September 2011 while you are doing the MPH, if you have the money for ERAS.

Also, do you think an MPH degree in preventive medicine will boost my chances of fellowship after IM residency?
Yes.

· Registered
25 Posts
You may regret withdrawing from the match

I don't it's wise for an IMG to withdraw from the match. You should consider yourself lucky to get an interview considering your late application and low scores.

It's possible to change to internal medicine after starting pediatrics. You only need to apply afresh through ERAS.

Another option is to continue with your MPH till June and apply for continued education credit +/- funding while doing pediatrics residency.

You may regret withdrawing from the match.

· Registered
11 Posts
It will be a mistake

As an IMG, your USMLE scores are not good. If you get IV in IM, that too University Based, you should consider yourself more than fortunate. Because of GC, you may get into IM, but trust me, chances are very thin..To be very frank with you, even if you don't withdraw this time, chances of your matching are very less. So my advice, don't withdraw. If you are lucky, you get into Ped and save one year. Later you can try for IM in your second year in same program or other...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.