USMLE Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading in Kaplan Lecture Notes and I found that there are complex ACLS algorithms and diagrams.

I was wondering if we should really memorize all the steps including the drug and DC shock dosages!

Your insights appreciated ..

·
Registered
752 Posts
The exam will commonly test cardiologic emergencies like ventricular tachycardia, ventricular fibrillation, and pulseless electrical activity (PEA). You need to know when to use drugs, when to skip to electrical cardioversion, and when to use CPR. For instance, if pulseless electrical activity is caused by a supraventricular arrhythmia, you need to do CPR, while if the cause is ventricular, you should do defibrillation.

The exam will not commonly test steps inbetween. It's usually the sort of "what's the next step to do?" question about classic emergencies, so the next step is usually the initial step in the algorithm.

So, I suggest you take a look at those diagrams, but don't memorize them as-is (unless you really can). Then, when you do questions, the most commonly tested stuff will be there and you'll get a very good idea about them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts