USMLE Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
You gonna be using the board to write on
So it doesn't matter to sit or stand

I think it's better to stand as this shows more respect to the patient

Also hold the board in front of you and scribble quickly while taking the history as it's very important not to lose Eye Contact with the patient

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi,

I have a student who sat in every case and did not counsel one patient and joked with another and passed cis with flying colors. However, I would not recommend this. I would recommend sit if you are tired and you HAVE to. Stand in each case as this shows attentiveness and diligence. Do not joke, at all! that is not recommended, how would you feel if your doctor sat down and joked around, maybe like he doesnt care. this is a test, its not real life. In real life if you are on a 36 hour call sure sit down no one is grading you on that, but in the exam its only 12 patients.

If you ask the patient if it is ok if you write while you talk then write the notes you need to write dont harm yourself and miss important points for the pn.

eye contact is key when listening, listen then write, eye contact is key when introducing yourself and when showing empathy and when counseling, and closure. it is not possible to maintain constant eye contact, some sp are instructed to not look at you so follow along.

good luck :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
While taking the history from the patient
What is the best way sitting or standing?
hi Indian,
it is from the door way information, then how much serious the patient is.... So the decision has to be taken as you enter the room, whether you can sit or have to stand,and when you judge that the patient is comfortable, before sitting ask them if they mind your sitting down and taking few notes while you talk to them

Reactions: indian

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi,
I agree with accurate. before I took the exam, I am a amg ivy league graduate, we were taught that standing allows for a greater focus on the case at hand, in addition to that, I stood in each case and I felt like I was able to concentrate better on the patient and what they were saying. You will choose what is best for you, however, I would highly recommend that you stand in each case as this will help you to appear attentive to the patient needs and not your own comfort. Its an exam and you want to be at your very best every moment.

good luck :)

·
Ex-USMLE Forums Staff
753 Posts
Taking history from a mother who's sitting on a low chair giving her child's story. In this circumstances, It's better to sit at level with the mother.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sitting shows you are not rushed

I am an american medical student and at my school, we are taught to sit in all patient encounters, even if you have to pull up a chair from outside the room (this of course is referring to actual patient encounters, not this exam!). In this way, we demonstrate that we're comfortable, we have as much time as they need to explain why they came in. If you stand, it sends a signal that you may only be there for a minute or two and you may be in a hurry (which we may be, but they can't know that!).

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Disagree

I am an american medical student and at my school, we are taught to sit in all patient encounters, even if you have to pull up a chair from outside the room (this of course is referring to actual patient encounters, not this exam!). In this way, we demonstrate that we're comfortable, we have as much time as they need to explain why they came in. If you stand, it sends a signal that you may only be there for a minute or two and you may be in a hurry (which we may be, but they can't know that!).
Am also in US med school.
I was taught that if the case is in ER then you should not sit. It's not appropriate to sit when the patient is having MI!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Taking the history while standing or sitting?

Which is better; taking the history while standing or while sitting? For me, I think sitting is more comfortable, but is it to the patient? I think the patient most likely will be sitting on the edge of a bed; will that makes him on a higher level than me and that would look awkward?

In CSEvideo, the doctor was standing in all the cases. That's why I'm asking.

Any insights?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i took all my histroy with standing except paed case :)
i feel more comfortable standing .
but i think u can sit if u feel more comfortable that way.

best of luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.