USMLE Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am 25 y/o graduated in the year 2013 and finished my internship 2014 , i studied 7 months for step 2 ck and before i do the exam i had 237 in the NBME 6 and 238 in UWAE ,So i had my exam on DEC 29 -2014 and yesterday i received my score report , i got 219 ,so disappointed i don't know if i still have a chance in Internal Medicine residency program in the US so i continue with step 1 >>>>>advice please ,,,,,,

· Registered
31 Posts
Lots of programs have Step 1 filters, so I think it'd be worse if this score was your Step 1. What's done is done, study hard so you can have nice Step 1 and Step 3 scores. Also, good LORS and personal statement can help compensate for it too.
Chin up now, don't give up.
Work hard and good luck!

· Registered
357 Posts
i am 25 y/o graduated in the year 2013 and finished my internship 2014 , i studied 7 months for step 2 ck and before i do the exam i had 237 in the NBME 6 and 238 in UWAE ,So i had my exam on DEC 29 -2014 and yesterday i received my score report , i got 219 ,so disappointed i don't know if i still have a chance in Internal Medicine residency program in the US so i continue with step 1 >>>>>advice please ,,,,,,
What does your age has to do with scoring 219? I'm kind of confused reading it......meanwhile, just like others rightly advised, score higher in other exams and try not to repeat any.
219 ain't bad!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What does your age has to do with scoring 219? I'm kind of confused reading it......meanwhile, just like others rightly advised, score higher in other exams and try not to repeat any.
219 ain't bad!
the only reason i mentioned my age cause i know it does matter with the program directors when they choose a resident they want younger and more fresh grads ......thank u for ur reply

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lots of programs have Step 1 filters, so I think it'd be worse if this score was your Step 1. What's done is done, study hard so you can have nice Step 1 and Step 3 scores. Also, good LORS and personal statement can help compensate for it too.
Chin up now, don't give up.
Work hard and good luck!
thank u so much ......i appreciate ur advice

· Registered
357 Posts
the only reason i mentioned my age cause i know it does matter with the program directors when they choose a resident they want younger and more fresh grads ......thank u for ur reply
PDs don't use chronological age in ranking. In fact, it's against the law to segregate based on an individual's age instead they use age of graduation from med. School which is 5 yrs in most programs. Your YOG is a good advantage in your case

· Registered
226 Posts
Hi there..

I agree with all the advices to improve your step 1. However to do that effectively, you have to take time to evaluate what went wrong in your previous studying method/exam taking skills. Identify the faulty method and set out to correct it. Was it:
lacking in strong understanding of basic concepts?
Too nervous?
Any time management issue during exam?
Etc

Once you figure it out and correct the underlying cause, your score will improve. Don't rush the prep. Strong grasp of basic concept is key to score high. Chin up , friend. Best to you.

· Registered
1 Posts
Do not give up

Although you started the exam with step 2 CK, which I typically do not recommend, this does not mean that you will not get a higher score in step 1. Self assessment tests for step 2 have nothing to do with the real exam in term of time control and the length of questions stem. It is not unusual to miss 3-4 questions in each block due to time factor. The scenario will be completely different in Step 1 ( short stem question with clear answer, as if doing math question). Adding to this your are a fresh graduate and you have not have enough exposure to the clinical practice yet to start with step 2 CK. Prepare well for Step 1: read Kaplan series for step 1 to understand the subject with or without their videos. then First Aid ( very concentrated material), add any missing or new information to Firs Aid( which will become your main reference while doing the UWorld questions. ( Do Kaplan questions first then Uworld q). The more questions you do, the higher score you will get.
Finally, what matter in residency enrollment is not the score only, but how fresh graduate you are. So, do not waste your time, try to finish the exam and get the ECFMG certificate while you are still fresh medical graduate( this is a very important criteria for getting residency in the state now a days,3-5 year since you graduated from medical school is on the top of eligibility criteria of the majority of residency program in USA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.